Forum Index » Chaff » Never Used Gear

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Tjaden
(ktjaden) - F

Locale: West
Never Used Gear on 02/11/2011 16:45:16 MST Print View

Watching threads in Gear Swap and other places I am always surprised at the number of items that come up with "never used" or "used once" in the description. How many of you have gear in your closet that you bought but have never used? And why?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Never Used Gear on 02/11/2011 21:18:23 MST Print View

Gear sluts one and all...

Steve Robinson
(Jeannie) - F
2 kids later on 02/11/2011 21:39:58 MST Print View

I bought a big sky tent (and got delivery after some arm twisting) for my wife and I to go out, but 2 kids later the only tent that gets off the shelf is the Megalite for all 4 of us. I keep thinking we're gonna do a couples trip one of these days, but...

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Never Used Gear on 02/11/2011 22:15:10 MST Print View

Kathmandu one man tent. It was just so cheap at 50% off. By the time I was able to use the light weight bug had bitten and at 1.7 kg t seemed like a behemoth.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F - M

Locale: Canadian Rockies
never used on 02/11/2011 22:20:09 MST Print View

-bought for trips that got canceled or plans fell through.
-didn't fit right
-before being used found something lighter/cheaper/better personally
-loss of a job
-injury
-weight gain(body not pack)
-weight loss(personal and pack)
-purchasing something to make your self feel better because your not outside
-gifts that didn't want/fit
-couldn't return

or are actually gear sluts and buy more than they use.

my last post for NWT tags is, it showed up from MHW got one wrong item and one that doesn't fit and I cant return it.

Edited by rcowman on 02/11/2011 22:20:42 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Never Used Gear on 02/11/2011 22:30:12 MST Print View

Can work in your favor. I sold a duomid only to buy it back one year and two owners later with no new nights on it. Came out ahead a little too.

All my gear has been used at least once. But I did do a monster clean out this past summer to reduce items to what actually gets used. Now to to be able to use it more...

Love Gearswap!

Edited by kthompson on 02/12/2011 08:22:04 MST.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
What I'm sitting on on 02/12/2011 05:10:04 MST Print View

I pretty much keep my gear paired down to only what I use and research research research before buying anything. This is what I have that I've never used or only used a couple of times:

MLD Trailstar - It's pretty new to me and I just haven't gotten out with it yet since my trips are generally solo with a poncho tarp.

Gossamer Gear Bug Net - Used once or twice. I just use my head net in a bivy generally. I try to avoid areas and times with really bad flying critters anyway.

Patagonia Houdini - Arrived last week to replace my Montane Lightspeed that's seen better days.

Jetboil Collapsible Spoon - It was either $9 shipping or $5 to qualify for free shipping so I bought a goofy spoon. I sorta like the looks of it though so maybe it'll work out.

Supercat Stove - Just punched holes in a new can in an attempt to make one that's prettier than the one I've been using.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Unused Gear on 02/12/2011 05:54:37 MST Print View

I have no unused gear but I do I a few items that have been used once. Examples of why?
1) A 2008 Jam2 pack - Bought on gear trade replace my current pack (which is showing wear) on my PCT hike. Just sold because I will likely move to a MLD Burn.
2) A 2009 Jam2 pack - Bought for my son to use on SHR. Also just sold because I still have spare packs that can be used.
3) 2009 Pinnacle pack - Had an REI UL45 pack (bought for my son to do the JMT) that fell apart. Took it to REI to get fixed. I walked out with a new Pinnacle as a replacement. Have taken this pack on one winter snowshoe trips but I found that I always ended up pulling out my Jam even for winter trips. (Proof my gear is getting smaller.) Will likely sell this as well when I stop being lazy.
4) REI UL60 pack. My first light pack. Stopped using it when I converted over to frameless. Will likely sell this one as well.

There is a similiar but smaller scale story on Bags and Shelters but I haven't yet been guilty of having a buch of new and unused. I buy stuff to use.

Edited by gg-man on 02/12/2011 06:56:26 MST.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
New never use on 02/12/2011 08:07:59 MST Print View

First of I must confess that I am a gear sleeze. Now that is out of the way I currently have the following that have never been used:

Golite Shangrila 3 (I carried it twice but just cowboy camped)
FF Hyperion in Epic (Gift and I already have one)
Golite Poncho Tarp (bought on a whim)
Wild Things Epic hooded windshirt (2 of them....can't pass up a good deal!)
Sierra Designs Gnar Down Hoody (just seem to prefer my down vest)
Black Diamond First Light (another gift and I haven't worn out the first one)
Katabatic Palisade (bought last fall but will get it out once the weather warms)
Ribs Pack (what was I thinking....I already had one)

The list of new gear, never used and sold, would be at least ten times as long. Sometimes it's because of a good deal, or didn't fit, or once I was able to handle it and inspect it, it just didn't measure up somehow.

I tend to buy gear in cycles and then sell when something newer, lighter, or improved comes out. I know I am sick Sick SICK.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: Never Used Gear on 02/12/2011 08:22:04 MST Print View

I've bought a lot of gear over the past few years and sold some of it with fairly few nights on it. In my case I like to buy and try gear. I learn alot about manufacturers, materials, and types of gear. Sometimes I buy an item just to see how it is made to help in my MYOG pursuit. Knowing that I can recoup the majority of the cost by gear trading allows me to see alot of gear with little added investment. I think this is why in many times someone will grab a good deal on gear trade, set it up out back or crawl into it and sell it again for the cost of shipping. I actually believe UL backpacking is more about knowledge than it is about gear. In many cases I buy gear to gain that knowledge then resell it.

Jamie

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Never Used Gear on 02/12/2011 09:46:17 MST Print View

Ive sold a lot of things that have only been used once or twice. I would say a lot of it is due to my size and just testing gear to see what works for me and not. I must say, I think I got it all figured out finally. Not all the stuff is the lightest but its all light, comfortable and works best for me. I will say I spent way to much money on it all but I have enjoyed the experience and am happy I did no matter how you look at it.

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
never used gear on 02/12/2011 15:29:38 MST Print View

I have tried many items once and found things that worked or just made me want to try a better product. I am on my 3rd therm-a-rest pad in one year. First was a prolite plus large. Worked great but heavy. Then a prolite small. Not very padded. Now I am going to a neoair regular. Not wide enough! Start saving for a neoair large next.
I have a gregory z55 that I used once, then went to a golite jam.
I could sell it as never used, but I hate selling things that I worked hard to pay for and I am too honest to not tell people it was used and why I looked for something different.
All of my other items like flashlights and rain gear gets moved to my boat or to daily wear. Columbia comes to mind. Great outdoor gear but heavy. I also camp out of my boat sometimes so all of my older heavier kwipment gets used for that.
For me, it is a matter of planning versus actual hiking. I only get to go about one weekend a month or about 8 to 10 times a year, so I have a bunch of time to shop and dream about it.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Never Used Gear on 02/14/2011 10:16:55 MST Print View

Kevin... we have way too many things that were used once. I don't even know where to start - lol.

Kevin Tjaden
(ktjaden) - F

don't understand the addiction on 02/14/2011 16:38:52 MST Print View

My closet isn't all that full considering the number of years I have been hiking. I am still using my Moonstone Modulus from the 80's (I think?). It was pretty innovative at the time, removable hood, and a pad-pocket like the later Big Agnes'. It was considered "ultralight" for the time. My stove is from the same era, a Coleman canister model. Never owned a tent. My concessions for gear buying have all been driven by waking up with sore hips because I am old and bony I guess. So I sucked up the weight increase and the cost for a Big Agnes insulated air-core pad.

Looking back the only gear I regret buying are the ones I bought in January. I think we all know why those purchases happen.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Never Used Gear on 02/14/2011 18:41:47 MST Print View

I don't understand the addiction..

well, I do.
To some of us playing with and collecting gear is pretty much a hobby, just like for some is collecting tea spoons ,cars, model trains , whatever.
I see people around here that spend their time and money at a pub drinking beer.
That is how they like to spend their free time. I like to buy and play with gear and remain sober.
Franco

Kevin Tjaden
(ktjaden) - F

hmmm. on 02/14/2011 22:41:11 MST Print View

I can understand the attraction to gear; seeking the perfect stove, the perfect sleep system, the lightest warmth to weight ratio. I get the attraction, I just don't understand not using it. Gear that looks pretty on the shelf but isn't tested in the field is just wall paper.

It would be like collecting cars but not driving.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Never Used Gear on 02/15/2011 14:06:05 MST Print View

Kevin
Come to think of it , I don't have anything that is "unused".
I do have several items that have only been played with/tested at home , so I consider those "unused" in the sense that they have not filled the job they were intended for (IE keeping me happy in the bush...)
Franco