Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Zions National Park East Rim - Help
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Zions National Park East Rim - Help on 02/09/2011 17:01:49 MST Print View

Does anyone know if there is camping anywhere along the East Rim in Zions National Park? From what I understand, one can camp above Echo Canyon in an area called Stave Spring.

Any perspective would be really appreciated. Thanks,

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
east rim sites on 02/09/2011 18:02:09 MST Print View

The park website says: "This area has no established campsites but does require a permit." I take this to mean that, unlike the West Rim, so long as you have a permit you can camp anywhere. Makes sense given how little traveled it is by comparison.

The whole stretch near Stave Spring ought to have good camping, if my memories from dayhiking by years ago is accurate.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Zions National Park East Rim - Help on 02/09/2011 18:04:01 MST Print View

Thanks Dave!

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Zions National Park East Rim on 02/09/2011 19:48:40 MST Print View

And there's a reason it's little traveled...........BORING. A walk down an old forest ROAD in underwhelming @ 50 year old pines from the look of it; The age of the pines that is; with no views until you hit the last couple miles and begin going down the rim. I hate to be dismissive about a trail but in that "target rich" environment it just seems like It'd only be honest to offer the opinion that the East Rim Trail is a waste of a good day unless you live in Springdale and have walked the others about 6 times each. Or maybe for access to climbing routes?

Edited by obxcola on 02/09/2011 19:56:36 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Zions National Park East Rim - Help on 02/09/2011 20:27:09 MST Print View

I thought that might be the case. I have done the Trans Zions Trek without the East Rim and thought I might add it in.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Zions National Park East Rim on 02/09/2011 20:30:50 MST Print View

I agree largely. Let it be known that they are rebuilding the east rim trails to make them more interesting.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
jack on 02/10/2011 07:42:07 MST Print View

Any idea of what they are doing/changing to improve them?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Zions National Park East Rim - Help on 02/10/2011 08:39:17 MST Print View

Since a few of us are flying in, I am trying to extend the trip a day. Especially when we are coming from cold Canada.....

....any other suggestions for a second day? Are there any decent climbs in the east rim?

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Zions National Park East Rim - Help on 02/10/2011 08:51:54 MST Print View

David. How many days are you looking to stay in the park? Are you backpacking? Have you been there before? You are wanting to climb? Zion is loaded with rock climbing. Do you mean hiking "climbs"?

The trail crews are working on a reroute of the trail that goes to Cable Mountain. I think that it'll have more views than it had before.

Edited by Found on 02/10/2011 08:53:31 MST.