Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » AT 2011

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
AT 2011 on 02/09/2011 16:02:40 MST Print View

It seems like a bunch of us BPLers are hiking the AT this year. Let's do a roll call!

I'm leaving sometime in the first half of March. Not sure when, not sure when the conditions will allow for a less than brutal start. I'm planning on a four month hike...

You?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
AT 2011 on 02/09/2011 21:03:55 MST Print View

Jack,

I'm not hiking the AT, but wanted to suggest that people also make a note of any blogs they are planning on updating while on the trail. I really enjoy following these, since it will be a while before I will doing any long distance trails (young kids).

a b
(Ice-axe)
AT Thru begins March 15th on 02/09/2011 22:54:52 MST Print View

I figure.. what the heck. Hiked the PCT in 2009, the CDT in 2010.. why not the AT in 2011.
I have my plane ticket already.
I arrive in Atlanta March 14th.
Reservations at Hiker hostel in Dahlonega that night.
On the morning of March 15th I walk under the arch at Amicalola Falls SP and begin my AT thru hike on the approach trail.
Beyond those plans i have no schedule. Probably be around four months judging by my inability to slow myself down even when i want to.
It's irresponsible, self indulgent, and fiscally insane of me to hike my version of the Triple Crown in three consecutive years but to be honest.. I am ruined for anything else now.
Now how do i really feel?
YEEEHAAAA! I hope the Appalachian Trail kicks my smelly hiker trash butt!
Journals at
Postholer.com I am Matt Edwards (oh yea.. you probably can tell from this post)

Edited by Ice-axe on 02/09/2011 23:01:59 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Re: AT Thru begins March 15th on 02/10/2011 00:09:16 MST Print View

Awesome Iceaxe! Count me in the fiscally irresponsible group too. AT, then perhaps the Sierra for a month, then the Hayduke, perhaps...

Blogging, as usual, at www.outside365.com and *hopefully* somewhere else too.

You coming to the BPL Bay Area Meetup at the end of the month?

-- Found (PCT 06, CT 08, CDT 10)

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Re: A.T Thru Hike on 02/20/2011 19:53:06 MST Print View

I'm guessing based on the current east coast weather trends that its going to be a brutal start for early march -- so I've settled on around April 5th (family in town otherwise I'll leave April 1st) and I'm also planning on around 4 to 4 1/2 months. However, since it will be my first thru-hike I'm going to play it by ear - as I like to just kind of hike my hike until its done...a "soft" schedule of events more or less - but I would love to make it in time for the Trail Days in Damascus...don't know if I'll be updating a journal online - I usually just "snail" journal with real trees ground into smooth whiteness and the like...

P.S. PM me if any of you know how to upload a gear list -- I uploaded my old one but can't get it to accept my new one - says "invalid file extension"...I've got it in a pdf format so I don't know what's wrong...

a b
(Ice-axe)
The Trail Provides on 02/20/2011 21:52:09 MST Print View

Ya Seth i hear what you are saying about the weather out east. I have been checking out the historical weather data for places from Dahlonega GA to Hot Springs NC. Mostly they are stations a bit off trail and at lower elevations so the temperatures would be 3.5 degrees per 1000 feet lower up on the AT. Even at that, historically there have been lows in the teens a few nights in March and boat loads of rain and snow in the Smokies but also separated by periods of nice and even balmy weather.
From what i can tell March is the time when it all changes and certainly by april things warm up.
Of course that does not mean we wont have some nasty spring weather to deal with.
Anyhow, if you come across the frozen carcass of a hiker using a UL quilt and wearing new Balance shoes you'll know I left too early.
The Trail Days thing is something I hadn't considered when i made my plans. I want to go but i will be well past Damascus by then. So I am thinking of making an epic hitch back.
I'll just play it by ear until then.
Somehow I have a feeling the "Luck of the trail" will help me find a way to trail days.
I remember in 2009 when a group of us hikers were given the keys to a stranger's car on the way in to Warner Springs. Evie and the Six Pack were hiking south to ADZPCTKO and just gave us the keys to Evie's Highlander. So we all got to hang out at the hot springs and ride back to the Kick Off in style stopping for Pie in Julian along the way!
If Trail Days and ADZPCTKO have anything in common it will all work itself out just fine without my planning a thing.
Use the "Trail-Force Luke!"
Seth, you think I am crazy now.. but you will see what i mean.. The trail provides.
PS I am trying to figure out how to post a gear list too.
Peace-Iceaxe

Edited by Ice-axe on 02/20/2011 21:55:29 MST.

Jeffrey Stylos
(jsstylos)

Locale: Northeast
The AT begins April 1 on 03/07/2011 18:30:07 MST Print View

I'm doing the AT, arriving by train in Gainesville at 7am on the 31st, planning on doing the approach trail that day (after getting to Amicalola somehow) and starting the AT proper on April Fools' Day.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: The AT begins April 1 on 03/07/2011 19:31:19 MST Print View

Have a great trip, we have been having unseasonably warm weather but lots of rain. We had 3" on Saturday and they are calling for another 3" on Wednesday.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Re: Re: The AT begins April 1 on 03/07/2011 19:42:00 MST Print View

3" on Wednesday!!!?! Good thing I start on Thursday!

a b
(Ice-axe)
Yeehaa Let the Thru hike begin! on 03/07/2011 20:25:26 MST Print View

T-Minus 8 days and counting.
I blast off on March 15th. Might be some rain but whatever.
Here's a weather link: http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USGA0270?month=0
Not that i have been watching it closely.. Yea right!
Anyhow rain or shine i am starting as soon as the Hiker Hostel shuttle can deliver me to Amicalola on Tuesday morning.
I can't wait to get that feeling of "self containment" starting out on a long distance trail with my pack brings.
Yes, I am addicted to long distance hiking but I have no intention of stopping!
We are so ridiculously lucky to be hiking the AT!

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
AT 2011 on 03/08/2011 02:47:13 MST Print View

Hey Matt and Jack. Enjoyed meeting you guys at Coe and wanted to wish you the best on the AT!

Jake Willits
(TrailSavvy) - MLife

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks
Not thru hiking, but... on 03/08/2011 06:35:53 MST Print View

Me and 3 of my buds are departing from Fontana Dam at midday, Mar 19. SOBO to Standing Indian or thereabouts. Please say hi if we cross paths!

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
AT 2011 on 03/08/2011 19:08:27 MST Print View

Going south from Wayah Gap to Deep Gap starting Friday late morning. Cherry-pick the good weather for weekend warrior jaunts. Hope it's not too muddy.

I'll try and take some photos.

Here's a link to some mountain-top weather:

http://nc-climate.ncsu.edu/cronos?station=WINE&temporal=hourly Wayah Bald.

About 6 items down on the page there's a link like this: show/hide list of nearby stations

And you can "daisy-chain" your way right along the trail; at least in NC. I know there's also a station on Cheoah and other's further north along the ridge, though not any along the Smokies. A good site for there is: http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

And if seeing is believing here's one: http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmpkcam/grsmpkcam.cfm

Kinda dark out there right now.