Yuppy Me
Display Avatars Sort By:
ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Yuppy Me on 02/07/2011 16:43:52 MST Print View

Re: ISPO 2011: “Danny is wearing the Belite Jacket filled with Eider duck down. This insulation reportedly costs from 3,680 - 11,000 € (US $4,999 - $14,944) per kilo. The feathers are collected by hand from the nests of wild ducks in northern Russia.” I admit it, I had them make a custom, floor-dragging long coat filled with this material, with the containing fabric the same as Elvis Presley used for his gold lah-may suit. How do you like me now, girls? Girls?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
eider down on 02/07/2011 17:20:31 MST Print View

Yer keerect, eider down is THE best down, period. Wish I had a minus 20 F. sleeping bag of eider down. Maybe when I hit the lottery...

BTW, is there REALLY a trustworthy source for eider down?

Edited by Danepacker on 02/07/2011 17:21:27 MST.

Evan Cabodi
(BlackRock) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Eider Down on 02/07/2011 17:28:26 MST Print View

Pretty crazy, huh. Eiderdown comes from the Eider duck found a few places in the Northern Hemisphere in addition to Russia. They also say that for the protected colonies of birds they only allow the harvest the down that was plucked by the female duck herself and placed in the nest to keep it warm after the nesting season each year! That's why it's so expensive. It's just really rare. Lots more info on the duck and the down at eiderdown.org.

What's cool about it is that the down is slightly different from normal goose down. It's got little hooks built right into the plumules which allow them to link together making large clusters of extra puffy and warm down. Now I don't know if it's the best, but it's gotta at least be really nice not to mention simply rare...

Now if I thought somebody wanted an Eiderdown Black Rock Hat I'd make one up, but I think at about $1200/hat the price might be a bit steep for most people ;) hahaha!