Forum Index » GEAR » Balaclava

Display Avatars Sort By:
Marc Bigos
(mcdelroy) - F
Balaclava on 09/28/2006 21:26:08 MDT Print View

I'm considering a balaclava for mountaineering. Ideally I'd like to carry a balaclava only and no hat. This would require that the balaclava be warm enough and afford me the option to not cover my face. Is the OR gorilla balaclava a light weight model or are their lighter weight options I should consider?

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/headware/cold_hats/balaclavas/83990

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Re: Balaclava on 09/29/2006 07:41:08 MDT Print View

Balaclavas are pretty nifty, you can always roll one up as a hat. My personal preference is not windstopper but something along the lines of patagonia's r1 balaclava. Again it's just a personal preference, I find windstopper just to "steamy" around my head.
Somewhere in the heap I've got an old wool one that is so increadibly itchy I could never wear it. Things have really gotten much better mate.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Balaclava on 09/29/2006 07:57:14 MDT Print View

Some report windstopper as affecting hearing too. WindPro is said not to affect hearing.

David White
(davidw) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Balaclava on 09/29/2006 18:52:17 MDT Print View

As an alternative to a traditional balclava, you might check out Buff headgear (http://www.buffusa.com). This is a very versatile piece of clothing available in different weights for different seasons.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Balaclava on 10/01/2006 12:32:44 MDT Print View

>Is the OR gorilla balaclava a light weight model or are their lighter weight options I should consider?

OR Gorilla, size M: 3.8 oz. Not the lightest, but I like it. (I think the OR Windstopper version is a bit lighter, if thinner.) It is somewhat breathable, and with 40+ mph wind and +10F temp I considered adding a windstopper headband over my ears. I like that you can configure face coverage in steps--I especially like the optional nose cover. I wear it with ski goggles and a Buff to cover my mouth. I wear it day and night in cold weather and it hasn't been itchy.

Edited by Otter on 10/01/2006 12:34:00 MDT.