November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marc Bigos
(mcdelroy) - F
Balaclava on 09/28/2006 21:26:08 MDT Print View

I'm considering a balaclava for mountaineering. Ideally I'd like to carry a balaclava only and no hat. This would require that the balaclava be warm enough and afford me the option to not cover my face. Is the OR gorilla balaclava a light weight model or are their lighter weight options I should consider?

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Re: Balaclava on 09/29/2006 07:41:08 MDT Print View

Balaclavas are pretty nifty, you can always roll one up as a hat. My personal preference is not windstopper but something along the lines of patagonia's r1 balaclava. Again it's just a personal preference, I find windstopper just to "steamy" around my head.
Somewhere in the heap I've got an old wool one that is so increadibly itchy I could never wear it. Things have really gotten much better mate.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Balaclava on 09/29/2006 07:57:14 MDT Print View

Some report windstopper as affecting hearing too. WindPro is said not to affect hearing.

David White
(davidw) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Balaclava on 09/29/2006 18:52:17 MDT Print View

As an alternative to a traditional balclava, you might check out Buff headgear ( This is a very versatile piece of clothing available in different weights for different seasons.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Balaclava on 10/01/2006 12:32:44 MDT Print View

>Is the OR gorilla balaclava a light weight model or are their lighter weight options I should consider?

OR Gorilla, size M: 3.8 oz. Not the lightest, but I like it. (I think the OR Windstopper version is a bit lighter, if thinner.) It is somewhat breathable, and with 40+ mph wind and +10F temp I considered adding a windstopper headband over my ears. I like that you can configure face coverage in steps--I especially like the optional nose cover. I wear it with ski goggles and a Buff to cover my mouth. I wear it day and night in cold weather and it hasn't been itchy.

Edited by Otter on 10/01/2006 12:34:00 MDT.