(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Re: width on 02/15/2011 14:29:39 MST Print View

Shows what I know! Great to hear.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: width on 02/15/2011 21:43:40 MST Print View

FYI max width is approximately 50". Jeff's 44x74" was a monster although the common widths are 20" & 24". The widths do change based on how much air is used. The quoted widths are approximately 2/3 full. Inflatables from other manufacturers are measured the same way. I compared one of my pads to a POE and they are nearly identical given the same inflation. I find fully inflated to be comfortable in my living room but for a full night a bit less air feels better. The cool thing is you can play around to see what works best for you.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: width on 02/18/2011 19:23:20 MST Print View

Yeah, we found out that its better for both of us at a higher inflation- almost firm.

We started out with it soft but I would be on the ground because I weigh twice as much as she does. When we're both on it at 2/3 inflation and she gets off nothing happens. When I get off she sinks like a rock! So we keep it firmer than our individual pads- works good.

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
Noise on 02/18/2011 21:47:36 MST Print View

How noisy is it compared to a Neoair ?

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Noise on 02/18/2011 22:28:09 MST Print View

Quite a bit less noisy. If I had kept my NeoAir I would've made a recording comparing them.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Noise on 02/18/2011 22:30:27 MST Print View

Yeah, its essentially a lighter, warmer, 3.5" thick BAIAC.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
Kooka Bay on 02/20/2011 21:27:17 MST Print View

I have decided to give this another try. I have traded e-mails with Bender and would like to get my hands on one of his pads. I am going to try and put my impatience to rest and let him do his work. I do have a date that my pad is needed, and he was willing to get it to me by April 27th. I am excited to get a good quality pad. And thanks are in order to Bender for working with me on this.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Keep in mind... on 02/23/2011 23:02:27 MST Print View

The OP has the right to feel upset or whatever he happens to be feeling, but it's no call for others to start piling on with the negativity. This thread only illustrates the reality of running a tiny business with high demand - nobody is perfect and not every customer is going to be happy, but hopefully most are.

Whether you're working with Ben or any other tiny/small/medium operation you might consider whether you're willing to give up some convenience to make a purchase that you feel good about. I know some people will not agree with this, but when it comes to working with small operations we've gotta rewire our brains and get out of the entitled consumer mindset. Simplify your thinking a little, keep perspective on the important things in life. If you're under a strict time constraint you may be tempted to still go with the small guy, but you should probably run to the big box and get what you need instead of what you want/hope you can get in time. This is not directed at the OP or anyone in particular but I think it's good advice for any potential first time cottage gear buyers.

I have 4 Kookabay pads. All have been great. I was always realistic with Ben about when I needed them. The first pad I ordered I mentioned it would be nice if I had it by xx date, but not critical. It didn't get there by the date, no big deal. Next one I mentioned same thing, this time Ben finished the pad up just in time to overnight it to me on his dime just so I could have it for a trip. I didn't *need* it, but he did that for me anyway.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Kooka Bay - Give It A Rest on 02/24/2011 18:42:28 MST Print View

"The OP has the right to feel upset or whatever he happens to be feeling, but it's no call for others to start piling on with the negativity. This thread only illustrates the reality of running a tiny business with high demand - nobody is perfect and not every customer is going to be happy, but hopefully most are. "

Jacob, unless you haven't followed this thread all of the way through, or you just want to re-ignite a thread that had quietly run its course with three positive outcomes: 1- the original OP and Bender settled their disagreement, 2- potential buyers of KookaBay are now well aware that they are going to get a great product, but they will have to be patient, this includes me, 3- after reading Benders post earlier explaining he is experiencing major growing pains,( I thought that was very big of him to do that ), I exchanged e-mails and re-ordered a pad from him with my full knowledge I will have to set aside my impatience.

I am happy that you are satisfied with your pads, and I am sure I will be happy with mine, but I think the only one piling on here is you. Bender builds a great product, but is having supply and communication issues that go along with a growing company, and there are people that have a right to express their experiences on this forum also. Step down off your 'soap-box', enjoy your pads a give this thread a rest!

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Kooka Bay - Give It A Rest on 02/25/2011 09:25:15 MST Print View

Robert, I'm not sure why the hostile tone of your response but I do agree with you that people have a right to express their experience on the forum. Since I own 4 pads made by Ben I thought I would share my (positive) experience. My apologies if I upset anyone. I popped into the gear forum and saw this thread; I didn't realize I was re-igniting something... anyway.

Edited by JacobD on 02/25/2011 09:26:15 MST.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Kooka Bay - Give It A Rest on 02/25/2011 15:37:06 MST Print View

I apologize if I came across as hostile, but your post struck me as very condenscending towards anyone that was having a problem with KookaBay. Like I mentioned, the thread had for the most part wound down with positive outcomes. It just seemed out of place for someone to lecture when everything had calmed down. I appreciate that you have 4 quality pads and, like many posters, have had good results with KookaBay, but you most likely ordered them before the explosion of popularity of Benders pads, and probably didn't have the wait that customers have now. I re-ordered with the FULL knowledge that I will have a wait. I didn't have that knowledge the first go-around and I was frustrated by the experience. I think it is fair that potential customers are at least aware that there will be a wait for a good quality pad. I don't think that is 'piling on'. Once again, I apologize if I came across as hostile, and I will let it rest.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Kooka Bay on 02/25/2011 17:26:15 MST Print View

My wife's pad just arrived today from Bender. 72"x20" mummy- R4 synthetic fill
15 1/3 oz. Damn, he makes a great pad.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Kooka Bay on 02/27/2011 08:07:14 MST Print View

Slight change of topic on KookaBay pads...

For those of you that have KookaBay pads, do you use them as backpack padding/structure for frameless packs? I have a SMD Swift that I was going to try mine with it, but I have been thinking about going to a pack with a built in framesheet instead. I have ordered a 24" W x 72" L synthetic mummy pad and was curious as to what size it is rolled up for selecting the proper volume pack, if I order a new one, or what kind of success people have had using them in their frameless packs. Thanks

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: New England
Re: Kooka Bay on 02/27/2011 08:24:02 MST Print View

This has been an occasionally harsh thread criticizing Kooka Bay. Thankfully, things seem to have been satisfactorily resolved.

However, Robert, I think that you'd get better response to your query if you started a new thread. And you'd be helping us all avoid dredging up a dead issue every time someone replied to you.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Kooka Bay on 02/27/2011 08:30:33 MST Print View

That works. I'll start a new thread.

Tommy Dulworth
(otsug) - F
Re: RE:kooka on 02/27/2011 09:01:20 MST Print View

"I ordered a pad from kooka on 1/1/11 and have not received it yet. I ordered it solely due to a recommendation from the best gear of 2010 list from this site. I had to email 3 times to get a response from company. A representative from the company said they had been out of town and was just getting the shop up and running again. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hopefully will receive pad soon. Not used to having to wait over a month to receive merchandise. Hopefully everything will work out. I will post a follow when I receive pad"

Follow up:

Received pad this past Thursday 24th. Pad looks great can't wait to try it out. I would like to follow up by saying I also appreciate Bender's response to this thread. I wish him well in growing his business. My only suggestion would be to implement a response email to all orders, stating that the order was received and a estimated delivery date 6-8 weeks etc...

Edited by otsug on 02/27/2011 09:04:49 MST.

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
R Values on 03/05/2011 22:15:32 MST Print View

Does anyone know what the R values for the pads listed on Bender's website are? Trying to determine if I need a special order. Thanks in advance.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Kooka Bay on 03/05/2011 22:28:34 MST Print View

The std unfilled pads have an R value of 1.

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
RE: For Bender. on 03/06/2011 07:22:43 MST Print View

"I wish him well in growing his business. My only suggestion would be to implement a response email to all orders, stating that the order was received and a estimated delivery date 6-8 weeks etc..."

... dude, if you read this, take this advice to heart. Or do what Joe does at ZPacks, and have a date in which you'll start to take "NEW" orders. BPL members are a very supportive and polite bunch as far as I can see, but there are limits.

Edited by elf773 on 03/06/2011 07:23:33 MST.

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re:R Value on 03/06/2011 17:36:44 MST Print View

Really? The pads listed on the site have no insulation? How many people want a pad with no insulation? That would make many pads a special order. No wonder things are bogged down. R values are a critical piece missing from his website.

Mr. Bender. I really want one of your pads! My big trip isn't until July. Best wishes that you get things fixed soon!