Could be a dream job for someone here:
The Pacific Crest Trail Association, headquartered in Sacramento, California is dedicated to protecting, preserving and promoting the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. The following Sacramento office staff position is currently open:
Trail Information Specialist
In this position you will have the opportunity to:
• Respond to public information requests via e-mail, in-person, on PCTA’s Facebook page, or phone. Ensure an accurate response to information requests.
• Acquire an in-depth understanding of the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its programs in order to incorporate that into information responses.
• Strengthen PCTA’s trail information program so that PCTA is well-known as the best source of information about the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail.
• Develop and maintain a program that gets volunteers involved in providing information to trail users.
• Maintain and contribute content to the PCTA’s “trip planning” and “about the trail” sections of the website.
• Periodically contribute informational articles to the PCTA’s Communicator magazine as well as content to PCTA’s Facebook page.
• Track and fulfill permit requests, completion certificates, and PCT medal requests.
• Represent PCTA at outreach events such as the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off and other events as needed to provide and obtain information about the trail.
The Trail Information Specialist will act as the primary information source for trail users, the general public and PCTA’s members. The Trail Information Specialist will receive, understand, and interpret requests for hiking, equestrian use and general trail information, research those requests, and respond in a timely and efficient manner. This position is responsible for ensuring that all requests are answered in a friendly and courteous manner and that requestors are provided with accurate and helpful information that allows them to enjoy the PCT safely and responsibly. Additionally, this position is responsible for updating trail and hiking information on PCTA’s toll-free information line and website including trail conditions, frequently asked questions and information about permits. The Trail Information Specialist will be responsible for attending and staffing outreach events on behalf of PCTA.
We are seeking applicants with:
• Minimum of three years of relevant professional experience
• Substantive, first-hand knowledge of the Pacific Crest Trail
• Evident passion for the Pacific Crest Trail and its protection
• Knowledge and understanding of the PCTA, its programs, and its mission
• Knowledge of long distance backpacking as well as day-hiking skills and equestrian trail use
• Expert in Leave No Trace practices
• Excellent analytical, writing and oral presentation skills
• Competency in map reading
• Experience working with and supervising volunteers
• The ability and willingness to travel on the PCT
• Experience writing public information including web content desirable
Submit application by March 1st. Please e-mail resume, list of 3 references, letter of interest detailing applicable qualifications, and salary history with the subject Trail Information Specialist. Additional information on this position and Pacific Crest Trail Association at www.pcta.org.