Forum Index » GEAR » iPhone Gear List App

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
iPhone Gear List App on 02/04/2011 07:49:49 MST Print View

A couple of weeks ago one of our members, Nick Warner, posted that he had developed an app for the iPhone called Gram Weenie to calculate your pack weights - base, consumables, worn/carried, and FSO.

He's now got the first revision of the app available on iTunes and the improvements are significant. You can now maintain a master list of all of your gear, by category, and the create "Trips" and choose the gear you want to take. He's even got a check that appears (and disappears) that you can use when in Trip mode to confirm that you have it (no more packing the stove but not the alcohol). It allows you to carry your gear list in your pocket and to tweak your trip lists any time you want. I've purchased a bunch of programs that allow me to view Excel files on my iPhone - primarily because I wanted to be able to play with my gear lists. This beats them all!

I don't have any financial interest in this - I was one of the guys who signed up to get the evaluation version and I'm proud to have worked with Nick on some of the improvements he's included in this latest release. One of the things he's included at my request is the ability to enter estimated weights. I use that for when I have a piece of gear that I haven't yet thrown on the gram scale or if there's something that I plan on acquiring before my next trip.

Here's the iTunes link to the Gram Weenie app. I think you'll find it one of the more useful backpacking apps out there.

Doug Reeves
(strawman) - F

Locale: God's Country
Nice on 02/04/2011 09:53:39 MST Print View

Nice. Wish it was for the Android platform as well.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Thanks for the info on 02/04/2011 09:55:37 MST Print View

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. I'm going to check it out - it looks useful, especially to one new to 'light' packing.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Re: iPhone Gear List App on 02/04/2011 09:57:30 MST Print View

whats the name of the app?

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Gram Weeine on 02/04/2011 10:20:52 MST Print View

The app really is called "Gram Weenie."

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Re: Gram Weeine on 02/04/2011 10:40:02 MST Print View

I'm an idiot! Sorry, didn't see it. Thanks

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
sweet! on 02/04/2011 11:14:22 MST Print View

sweet! I was thinking about doing something like this myself

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Gram Weenie App on 02/04/2011 11:20:39 MST Print View

I know what you mean...I thought about doing this app myself only to find that you cannot (at least when I looked) develop iPhone apps on anything but a Mac platform. I had a friend offer me a MacBook but I wasn't THAT interested in doing it.

Then along came Nick and the Gram Weenie app...

Nick Garner
(nwgarner) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley
Gram Weenie on 02/07/2011 20:19:51 MST Print View

Howdy folks,
Thanks for taking an interest in the app and thank you Kevin for the heads up to the other BPL users. I've already received several great ideas from some users that I'm working on getting incorporated now.

The first version was quite lacking but Kevin put in some great feedback and helped me test the second version which is what's available today.

Backpacking has taken a back seat for me for the time being since I have a baby at home now but he'll soon be walking and that means he and I are going backpacking soon. :) The side effect of this is that I now have time on weekends to do some coding. The story of how the idea for the app came to be is a funny one and a bit long to type, so maybe I'll tell it another day.

I'm always welcome to hearing new ideas and I'll do what I can to get them implemented.

Some things on the horizon:
Duplicate a trip list
Move/reorder items in lists
Calories for consumables

Thanks again everyone,
Nick

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
I like it on 02/07/2011 20:44:36 MST Print View

I got it. Really like it. Nice little app for your iPhone.

Good work Nick. Any more upgrades are pure bonus in my book.

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
Just bought it... on 02/07/2011 23:08:00 MST Print View

Looks promising! :)

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
iPhone Gear List App on 02/08/2011 02:49:47 MST Print View

Works great on the iPad, and Nick has said improvements and additions are coming, so one happy customer here.
cheers,
fred

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
iPhone Gear List App on 02/08/2011 02:49:47 MST Print View

Double post, sorry- don't know what happened there.
cheers,
fred

Edited by fredfoto on 02/08/2011 04:51:49 MST.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

iPhone Gear List App SUGGESTION! on 02/08/2011 05:34:49 MST Print View

I love Gram Weenie. Very easy to use and really handy. I do have one suggestion. Is there a way to save all your gear into it and then just point and tap which gear you want for a particular trip? I have multiple bags and tents that I use for specifics reasons and trips. I would like to input all of them, so when I pack for a trip I can just click on the gear I'm using and only that weight will be added up.

Don't know if that makes sense; hope it does.

Mark

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

iPhone Gear List App - New Version on 02/08/2011 06:34:55 MST Print View

Mark,

Upgrade to the new version and your wish will be granted...It's free - either do it through iTunes or through your phone.

-Kevin

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Gram Weenie on 02/08/2011 06:53:19 MST Print View

It is quite a nice little app, thanks Nick. Does everything I need it to do easily without a lot of unnecessary fluff to get in the way. Nice job.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Re: iPhone Gear List App - New Version on 02/08/2011 10:27:16 MST Print View

I checked it states that my App is up to date. Any ideas? I bought it last week when you first started this thread. Instructions anyone?

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: iPhone Gear List App - New Version on 02/08/2011 12:16:17 MST Print View

Bottom right corner is a "trips" button. Use that.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Figured it out on 02/08/2011 14:03:33 MST Print View

Sorry. I figured it out how to work it. APP even better; me pretty tech stupid.

Thanks Kevin and Mike

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
program on 02/08/2011 17:57:27 MST Print View

Look forward to an android version. WIth android on all carriers it would be handy to have it on android too please.