Coleman Powermax fuel container failure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Coleman Powermax fuel container failure on 09/28/2006 12:51:15 MDT Print View

During a power outage here in Virginia (all too common!) I pulled out my Coleman Xtreme and a half-full Powermax fuel container. I turned it on and nothing came out! I tried a number of other bottles and they all were fine.

Anyone ever have a failure like this? I contacted Coleman but have heard little from them.

Examining the bad bottle I see the o-ring in the orifice is chewed up. I wonder if a bit got shoved down and is clogging it.

What do I do now with a half-full worthless bottle of fuel? What if this had happened during a long trip (cold food, I guess...). Is this a common problem with Powermax fuel containers?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Coleman Powermax fuel container failure on 09/28/2006 14:13:24 MDT Print View

I had an MSR 8oz cartridge fail this summer. The Lyndal valve wouldn't work with either of my stoves. The cartridge was full and I could expel gas by pusing against they Lyndal value using a screwdriver blade.

It was three weeks before I reached my next food/cartridge drop. After this experience I vowed to check all cartridges before I head out on a trip.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Coleman Powermax fuel container failure on 10/01/2006 04:40:44 MDT Print View

> Anyone ever have a failure like this?
This is very, very rare as far as I know.
Sometimes people have a problem getting the canister to mate with the stove - that happens in very cold conditions mainly. Not sure why.

> Examining the bad bottle I see the o-ring in the orifice is chewed up. I wonder if a bit got shoved down and is clogging it.
Would you be able to send me a close-up picture of this? My email is roger@backpackinglight.com, and I am the Stoves Editor here.
The 'O-ring' bit you are referring to is actually a neoprene washer bonded to the metal. The red plug in the middle seals against it.

If you take the canister OUTSIDE and give the red plug a poke with a BLUNT object, does any gas come out? But be VERY carefully if you try this - NO flames!