Forum Index » GEAR » A Little Help Please

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:23:33 MST Print View

Hi all. I have a Integral Designs Sil Tarp and a Bearpaw Minamalist 1. I have used Tarptents for a long time and would like to go the tarp route. I have posted pics here with the the thought that I need to get more of a taught pitch. I have played and played all day and I still cannot get it just right. Help!

Tarp

another view

tarp

tarp

tarp

Edited by kennyhel77 on 02/03/2011 18:24:27 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:25:11 MST Print View

Hard to tell, but it looks to me like you're offsetting your front and back trekking pole, thereby ensuring you'll get the wrinkles you're trying to eliminate. Just a thought.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:29:51 MST Print View

Man you better fix that sorry pitch. If you take that set up looking like that at Coe they will have you for lunch!

Edited by kthompson on 02/03/2011 18:32:09 MST.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
hmm on 02/03/2011 18:35:22 MST Print View

I dont even own a tarp, so take this for what its worth, but it looks like the tops of your poles are closing in on one another causing the wrinkles...can you stake out the tops and draw them apart?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:37:06 MST Print View

Douglas, do you mean the poles have to be the exact same length????? I am trying to get rid of those darn wrinkles.

Ken....yeah N.S.! I will bring my Nemo Go GO Bivy if I cannot get this right.

This is my JMT shelter and I have to get this right. I have plenty of time, I just want to nail it!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: hmm on 02/03/2011 18:38:31 MST Print View

Mark, what do you mean by the tops of the poles are closing in and causing the wrinkles..Do you mean that the tips are pointing inwards towards each other???

Or are my poles cockeye????

Edited by kennyhel77 on 02/03/2011 18:42:03 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:41:44 MST Print View

Hi Ken,

No, they don't have to be the same height. Hard to explain, so let me try this way. Humor me.

Draw a square. Now draw a line down the middle of the square. Each pole, ideally, should be at one end of this line. If one of the poles is a bit to the left or right of the line, while the other is right at the end of the line, then you'll get the wrinkles/it'll make it harder to make it taut.

Does that make sense?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:48:14 MST Print View

Doug, Yes! and I posted a minute or so ago where I said my poles are cockeyed...I think I know what you are aying....the need to be in line in order to insure a taught pitch?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 18:59:49 MST Print View

"they need to be in line in order to ensure a taut pitch?"

I don't know if it's an absolute, but it certainly makes it a lot easier!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 19:07:25 MST Print View

Thanks Doug, I will play more tomorrow!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 19:09:16 MST Print View

Yes Doug is right..
The poles need to be in line and the corners at each end need to be parallel too.
(immagine a line from one rear corner to the other rear corner and one from the front corner to the other front corner . Those two lines need to be parallel to each other .)
Franco

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 19:11:33 MST Print View

Ken, Here is a pic of my ID siltarp showing a fairly tight pitch with differing height poles, but parallel to each other.

siltarp

Here is a pic of my MYOG tarp that is essentially an 8x5 tarp just like the siltarp.

MYOG Tarp

A couple of things to consider. One you can pull the ridgeline much tighter then you think at first. This tarp is pretty tough. Make sure everything is lined up and the poles are straight. Check to make sure the corner lines run out at a diagonal, not straight. Also the rear corner lines should be shorter than the front ones. I often just stake the rear corners directly to the ground without lines.

I have found the best way to set up my tarps is to stake out the front corners at the approximate distance to give the proper height (just takes practice). Then put the front pole in and stake out the front guy line. Then I go do the rear corners, these should be closer together than the front ones. Now put up the rear pole and rear ridge line. I go back and adjust the stake locations to get things tight. Then I stake out the side guy lines. I used 8 stakes and line in total.

Hope this helps,
Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 02/03/2011 19:14:29 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 02/03/2011 19:22:56 MST Print View

Or if the corners aren't square to the ridgeline

Exhagerated example

nonsquare

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: re: A Little Help Please on 02/03/2011 19:23:53 MST Print View

Franco and Jamie, thanks I think a light just went off. I will try this tomorrow. Stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: re on 02/03/2011 19:26:11 MST Print View

Thanks Jerry, your illustration makes sense to a ludite like me.

I appreciate the help all. Let me work on this tomorrow and see what I can do.

Jacob Linton
(gardenhead) - F

Locale: Western NC
Ridgeline on 02/03/2011 19:36:40 MST Print View

Looks to me like you've got the poles right. Just put them in the center of the shorter side on each end. I think that photo is a weird angle and is just fooling everyone.
I say tighten up your ridgeline. I always tighten my ridgeline all the way before tightening down the corners. Can be kinda hard to do without staking the corners enough to hold the poles up though. The whole thing will want to keep falling to one side.
So yeah, get that ridgeline taught, then work on tightening the corners/sides.

Hope that helps.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: A Little Help Please on 02/04/2011 01:14:03 MST Print View

It looks to me like you just need to tighten everything up but sometimes getting that super tight pitch can be tricky - all good advice above though and could very well solve your problem.

I made a video after answering a slew of emails about how to pitch a tarp last summer. Definitely not the only way or the right way, but it's the way that works for me. Might be of some help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrapf_8WFM

I show 3 pitches, the first pitch in the video will be the A-Frame you are after.

Edited by Steve_Evans on 02/04/2011 01:15:51 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 02/04/2011 07:43:02 MST Print View

When you have some spare time

intentionally mis-pitch it

make it non-square, raise a corner,...

see how it looks with each variation

then you will know what to do when you pitch it and it's not taut

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: on 02/04/2011 09:20:57 MST Print View

Your tarp walls looks really steeply pitched. Try going a little lower and wider -- then the tension will be more evenly distributed, especially if you shorten your guylines.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
A Little Help Please on 02/04/2011 09:43:53 MST Print View

I will agree with Sumi. It is pitched too high. But, this doesn't effect the tension.

The first thing I notice is that the tarp is too small for the bug liner. You will get some spray into each open end. Keep this as close as possible to the net tent, even if you have to sag the net tent a bit.

Pull the guy lines against the opposite diagnal stake, not the pole or 45 degrees. The way you have it pitched, it needs more tension along the ridge line. And repositioning of the 4 stakes.

But, all in all, that isn't real bad.

Try this, take some heavy duty hair ties. Loop these at each corner. Tie your short, 3-4' guy lines to these (loop-to-loop) and pull these out. This will serve to keep tension on things in the wind and releive pressure from flapping.