Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » M50 Summer Quilt Instructions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
M50 Summer Quilt Instructions on 02/01/2011 19:56:12 MST Print View

In a previous thread I posted the instructions to my MYOG summer quilt. The finished weight of the quilt was 10.8 oz with 1.5" loft. I have enhanced the instructions and added numerous pictures. The instructions now fill 20 pages, but are still pretty simple. You can download the pdf from my website.

LytW8_Summer_Quilt

I have not had a chance to do a detailed proof read as I'm heading out of town tomorrow and wanted to get them up tonight. If you see any mistakes please post here or PM me.

LytW8 Summer Quilt

Thanks, Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 02/01/2011 20:16:03 MST.

Nate Powell
(powell1nj) - F

Excellent on 02/01/2011 20:49:22 MST Print View

Jamie, this is an amazing document you put together. Really easy to follow and the pictures are very helpful. Can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into it - I'm sure it will become a BPL classic. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on the thru-hiker site someday.

Edited by powell1nj on 02/01/2011 20:49:55 MST.

Clint Newitt
(cnewitt) - F

Locale: Utah
Nice!!! on 02/02/2011 08:55:02 MST Print View

Thanks Jamie for a well planned and executed document, very helpful. I will definitely be using this to make my summer quilt. Thanks for the time you invested to help us out.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Thank you 1000X on 02/02/2011 20:15:34 MST Print View

Jamie, this was very kind of you to take the time to provide such an in depth and comprehensive guide. Thanks for giving back to the forums...your PDF is a very very valuable resource to all aspiring MYOGer's. Awesome work!

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
Definitely a BPL classic!! on 02/02/2011 22:10:00 MST Print View

Jamie,
I'm impressed with the detailed instructions with the pictures! I'm definitely sewing one up in the next 2-3 weeks for my kids! :)

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

re: M50 Summer Quilt Instructions on 02/03/2011 05:25:45 MST Print View

All, I really appreciate your comments. If someone gets one finished I'd love to see a pic. If you get snagged or find an error please PM me, I'd be glad to provide different pics or give additional instructions.

Thanks, Jamie

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
minor comment on 02/03/2011 07:52:10 MST Print View

I don't think you say what the baffles are made of, how big they are, or how you sew them onto the main body (fold over the edge and sew through two layers of baffle material?).

The picture of the baffles is difficult to comprehend because the baffle is the same material as the main fabric (answers my first question).

edit: but that is a very good set of directions - always difficult to do in my opinion

Edited by retiredjerry on 02/03/2011 07:53:03 MST.

Danny Korn
(d0nk3yk0n9) - F

Locale: New York
Re: minor comment on 02/03/2011 09:22:05 MST Print View

"I don't think you say what the baffles are made of, how big they are, or how you sew them onto the main body (fold over the edge and sew through two layers of baffle material?).

The picture of the baffles is difficult to comprehend because the baffle is the same material as the main fabric (answers my first question)."

If you look carefully at his directions, you'll see that he uses sewn through baffles. This means that the top and bottom are sewn together to form the baffles, with the resulting seam forming the baffle rather than using any sort of additional baffle material.

This has the advantage of saving weight and is much easier to sew than regular baffles, but it isn't as warm and has the potential issue of creating cold spots. This means that any sewn-through quilt is probably, like this one, going to end up being a summer quilt.

Of course, if you plan it that way from the beginning, this isn't a problem at all and leads to having a really nice, really light quilt for warmer weather use.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
baffles on 02/03/2011 15:15:02 MST Print View

Yup, Danny nailed it. Definitely sewn through, but it makes sense since Jamie was aiming for a 40 degree summer quilt. Mike ("te-wa") posted a guide for a quilt that uses mesh baffles on hammock forums.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

re: M50 Summer Quilt Instructions on 02/03/2011 16:22:10 MST Print View

Jerry,
Konrad nailed that Danny nailed it. The sewn through means there is no baffle material, you just sew through 2 layers of fabric creating long chambers to stuff. As stated this technique does make construction simpler and eliminates the baffle material entirely. As pointed out I would stress that this technique should be saved for warmer items, i.e. summer quilts 40 degrees+. This is common practice by many top gear manufacturers for summer quilts. The WM MityLite bag and JRB Stealth quilt use sewn thru baffles. Also many jackets MB, NB Fugu, etc do as well.

I will try to add a defination for sewn-trhu to the instructions to make this more clear.

Thanks for reading the instructions.

Jamie

PS Also as Konrad points out if you haven't read te-wa's guide it was a great help to me on my first quilt.

Edited by jshortt on 02/03/2011 19:17:17 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
okay, okay on 02/03/2011 16:27:24 MST Print View

I looked at it again

It's pretty clear

I guess I don't read so good..

John Garner
(Hobbins) - F
Much Thanks on 02/04/2011 04:10:47 MST Print View

That's a fantastic resource. I've been thinking of making a quilt for a while now I know how. Thanks so much for putting all this together for everyone.

Great web site by the way.

Casey Flom
(evolution_star) - F
Down Sources on 02/11/2011 12:02:04 MST Print View

Are there other places to buy loose down from other than thru-hiker?

Reason I ask is I am a cheap skate and would willing to pay less for less quality ie 800 or 750 fp.

Also, back to the topic, thanks for posting the instructions. They are really easy to follow and a nice alternative to using baffles. Thanks!

Edited by evolution_star on 02/11/2011 12:09:19 MST.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Down Sources on 02/11/2011 13:42:33 MST Print View

if you can wait until march I was using Adam's down before buying bulk myself.

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_4&products_id=10&zenid=499c53844a3133db1f061983806ce11a

-Tim

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Excellent Indeed! on 02/13/2011 13:39:12 MST Print View

Excellent job! You're very thorough and it's simple enough to follow to inspire confidence in such a project, ie I'm excited to start my own quilt projects.

I have one small quibble though, it's the Pythagorean Theorem in step 1. On a similar note you frequently mention a few things beyond the scope of the instructions. If this is info you found in a book or online instead of coming up with on your own, it'd be nice to see a citation of sorts so people can research on their own. This would be especially useful for people new to the community who may not have done as much research as some.

If you came up with methods yourself, obviously don't bother in this doc because I know how difficult it would be. You'd have to probably write another 20 page document to describe the method, which could be fun as well(my math major and tutoring is showing some bias here)!

Once again, phenomenal work and keep it up.