Forum Index » Chaff » Trail runners should be banned from trails

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy Cleaveland
(jeremy11) - F

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus
Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/02/2011 06:59:24 MST Print View

Trail Runners kick butt cause Ray Jardine said so.

The real reason trail runners cause more damage is since I can go so much further per day in them. They actually cause less damage per mile, but you end up going several times as far as in boots.

The answer is to get off the beaten track, that way there is no trail to damage.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/02/2011 07:39:01 MST Print View

lol

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/02/2011 09:34:54 MST Print View

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
trail runners on 02/02/2011 09:52:29 MST Print View

I was thinking that when I take my boat across state lines, I am supposed to wash it to prevent introducing new species into Texas waters. When I wear my trail runners through a stream in Arkansas, then come home with them, I might be doing the same thing! We need to put a stop to this right away. I say anyone who does not like trail runners, put your money where your mouth is and buy and install pressure washers and sanitizers at every trailhead in America so that we can clean off. Who cares about trails, I am worried about the lakes of Texas.
Back to the topic; Who made up this story? Trail runners are lighter use less dead cows to make, you are on any give mile for less time using less oxygen, tracking less mud away in your car, I could go on but my lunch break is over.

Cameron Phillips
(Jean-Guille) - F

Locale: Southern California
freako foot look-alike rubber barefoot shoes on 02/02/2011 10:43:17 MST Print View

>It's not boot wearers or trail runners that are to blame, it's the naked hippy barefoot freakos. And those that hike in those freako foot look-alike rubber barefoot shoes.

Seriously, tho, those things creep me out...

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: freako foot look-alike rubber barefoot shoes on 02/02/2011 11:24:27 MST Print View

>> Seriously, tho, those things creep me out...

If those creep you out then wait to you see a hiker with Vibram's new hiking shorts. The product is called onefinger. Same concept as the fivefingers. I'd post a picture but I understand that BPL is a family rated web site. It is in beta testing now. Vibram says "one size fits all" but that has reportably caused some technical difficulties in the field.

Back to our topic:

Please DO IT WITH BOOTS!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: trail runners on 02/02/2011 11:26:51 MST Print View

Hey, don't blame me if the trail can't handle it. Just because the trails are eroding doesn't mean its hikers fault. Who ever made the trail OBV didn't know what they were doing and made a crappy tail.

Pave em all!! Erosion? - No Mas!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Onefinger on 02/02/2011 11:30:38 MST Print View

Just great, George! Now we're going to have another of those ego-driven discussions about whose got the smallest package.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
trail boots and shoes should go on 02/02/2011 11:34:22 MST Print View

I don't wear trail runners because they are too bulky and don't last that long. Just straight Chaco sandals for me.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Onefinger on 02/02/2011 12:04:23 MST Print View

"Just great, George! Now we're going to have another of those ego-driven discussions about whose got the smallest package."

Isn't that the point of BPL?

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: trail runners on 02/02/2011 12:18:11 MST Print View

Seems to me there are many issues here:

Cody Lundin and his disciples going barefoot and carrying no load and living off the land are ruining trails and wilderness, so ban them.

Heavier loads wear down trails faster, so ban them.

People carrying lighter loads go farther, so wear the trail more, so ban them.

People wearing trail runners AND lighter loads go farthest of all, so ban them most of all!

The weather is ruining trails, so ban it.

Trails are inherently fragile, so ban them.

Cameron Phillips
(Jean-Guille) - F

Locale: Southern California
Re: Onefinger on 02/03/2011 12:35:39 MST Print View

>Just great, George! Now we're going to have another of those ego-driven discussions about whose got the smallest package.

That is a specific model, called the "Pinkyfinger"...

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Trail ruiners on 03/09/2011 23:21:47 MST Print View

"I hunt with an AR15 because it makes me feel manly and rebellious."

I think it might be best to use it on the Trail Runners. That would solve the LNT issue.

And there folks is how one turns any thread into one about guns.

If you use the AK in California to shoot trail runners just make sure the ammo is lead free, we don't want trail runners to be the cause of more Conors dying

>It's not boot wearers or trail runners that are to blame, it's the naked hippy barefoot freakos. And those that hike in those freako foot look-alike rubber barefoot shoes.

Seriously, tho, those things creep me out...

What greeps me out are RED HIKING BANANA'S where do they come from?

Edited by jumpbackjack on 03/09/2011 23:25:20 MST.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
quadrupeds hikers on 03/14/2011 12:52:49 MDT Print View

If it's true that the trails are eroding it can be from over use of the trail because of hiking popularity.

But I think it's the quadrupeds with dual hiking poles that are tearing up the trails post holing the trail with each arm movement placing of the hiking pole. Plus the quadrupeds have a wider stance on the trail making a larger path left in their wake . Have you ever tried to pass a slow quadruped with poles flaying on trail you have to wait for a wide point to get passed them.