Forum Index » Chaff » Trail runners should be banned from trails

Display Avatars Sort By:
George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:32:59 MST Print View

I've been doing quite a bit of research about various hiking shoes, boots, no shoes, etc. It was interesting for me to find that trail runners although they are light and dry out well, they are causing tremendous damage to popular trails in most national parks. Rangers are reporting that hikers wearing boots tend to walk at a slower pace than "those freaks with those running shoes" who are seriously damaging our national trail infrastructure.

This makes sense. Enough for me to give up trail runners. I for one will dust off my boots and begin to respect trails.

Hopefully many of you will do the same. Trail runners are destroying our trails. Please pledge to DO IT WITH BOOTS from now on.

I am starting a global campaign called DO IT WITH BOOTS to spread awareness of the devastation that trail runners are doing to our trails. DO IT WITH BOOTS is the way forward. Please join us and DO IT WITH BOOTS from now on.

Thank you and DO IT WITH BOOTS!

Ed Schmidt
(suttree) - F

Locale: ON, CANADA
Don't feed the trolls. on 02/01/2011 18:34:46 MST Print View

Troll.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
wrong month on 02/01/2011 18:40:27 MST Print View

this is feb 1 not april 1

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:41:04 MST Print View

George. That didn't take long, though somewhat anti-climatic.

So it's not that people ruin backpacking. It's that people who wear trail runners backpacking are ruining it for everyone else. Must be all the dust.

Edited by kthompson on 02/01/2011 18:42:40 MST.

James S
(HikinNC) - F
?? on 02/01/2011 18:43:06 MST Print View

People don't kill trails, shoes do.

Edited by HikinNC on 02/01/2011 18:51:14 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
chaff. on 02/01/2011 18:45:42 MST Print View

The chaff area exists for a reason.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:45:53 MST Print View

I am sorry, my feet say no to boots. I find it a little hard to believe that a hiker wearing trail runners and a 15 pound pack causes more damage than a hiker wearing boots and a 50 pound pack. If you want to protect the trails, get the horses off of them, before you worry about what type of footwear people are wearing.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:48:44 MST Print View

Ed chill, scarcasm...scarcasm....geesh

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Trail Runners on 02/01/2011 18:49:03 MST Print View

How about clogs? I walk really, really slow when wearing clogs.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:49:13 MST Print View

My personal dislike over the use of trail runners has to do with the amount of dust they create and also because those uncaring people that use them tend to pass me on the trail.
But of course nothing will be done about it till it is too late.
We are doomed, I tell you.
Franco

adam blanton
(adamallstar) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
trail runners on 02/01/2011 18:53:31 MST Print View

I just say wear trail runners, but wear 2lb leg weights on top of them!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:55:32 MST Print View

Trail runners? Are you kidding me?

Footwear of any sort should be banned. It does nothing but encourage and perpetuate reckless behavior, excessive speed, and obnoxious logos and color patterns.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
"Trail runners should be banned from trails" on 02/01/2011 18:55:33 MST Print View

With all the snow, guess it's about cabin fever.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 18:56:47 MST Print View

"So it's not that people ruin backpacking. It's that people who wear trail runners backpacking are ruining it for everyone else. "

No no, you've got it wrong.

People don't kill trails. Trailrunners kill trails.

Unfortunately, if you outlaw trailrunners, then only outlaws will wear trailrunners!

Hmmm, I wonder if outlaws hike......

Ed Schmidt
(suttree) - F

Locale: ON, CANADA
Apologies on 02/01/2011 18:57:26 MST Print View

Apologies, I didn't see George's earlier post.
That said, posting intentionally provocative material so others can sit back and watch the rage is, well, the definition of trolling.

Edited by suttree on 02/01/2011 18:58:53 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Trail Runners on 02/01/2011 19:00:00 MST Print View

D'yall carry guns on the trail?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Re: Trail runners should be banned from trails on 02/01/2011 19:01:30 MST Print View

"People don't kill trails. Trailrunners kill trails."

Douglas,
You have it wrong. It is the trail that kills my trail runners. Three pairs in the last year, something needs to be done. Can we pave the trail with rubber stuff to make them last longer?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
re 'Trail runners should be banned from trails' on 02/01/2011 19:02:20 MST Print View

ROTFLMAO!

Good one George. But maybe April-1 would have been better?

Cheers
PS: that's maybe why they are called Trail Runners?

Edited by rcaffin on 02/01/2011 19:03:30 MST.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
I am offended on 02/01/2011 19:02:22 MST Print View

my mother's nickname is "Boots"

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Apologies on 02/01/2011 19:03:34 MST Print View

"That said, posting intentionally provocative material so others can sit back and watch the rage is, well, the definition of trolling."

Gosh Ed, I thought he posted intentionally humorous material so others could join the fun.

Rage? Really?