Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
On pitching a tarp in snow
Display Avatars Sort By:
Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
On pitching a tarp in snow on 01/31/2011 14:49:19 MST Print View

This is reposted from GG.

Hopefully it isn't just interesting to me because of the almost total lack of snow down here. Although if GG took the time to post it then it's probably pretty good.

Be sure to watch the video too.

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2010/06/gossamer-gear-spinntwinn-review-video.html?showComment=1277891148328&m=1#c6027617080114764570

Edited by veriest1 on 01/31/2011 14:50:26 MST.

Theron Rohr
(theronr) - F

Locale: Los Angeles, California
Re: On pitching a tarp in snow on 02/16/2011 20:05:06 MST Print View

I'm interested. Better yet I'll find out this weekend in Yosemite!

Maybe if this was posted in the winter forum it might have gotten more interest.

Edited by theronr on 02/16/2011 20:05:47 MST.

Theron Rohr
(theronr) - F

Re: On pitching a tarp in snow on 03/01/2011 23:07:33 MST Print View

Well, I did camp out last weekend in deep snow, with over a foot falling overnight. It definitely works! Trekking poles are very strong and held up even though the sides of the tarp were squashed in a lot by the weight of snow. However, I learned that pitching the tarp with snow stakes is a lot of work and it would have been easier to have a normal tent that can stand alone or get away with a couple of stakes.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: On pitching a tarp in snow on 03/02/2011 05:30:05 MST Print View

I love the idea of using chunks of wood as the base for the poles. I should try that sometime. I just got done with a week under tarps in northern New Hampshire-- not light tarps, but big group ones tied off to trees instead of poles. I was wondering how I'd deal with setting up my own tarp or pyramid shelter in snow like this, though.

Maybe it's the snow in New England, but I can't understand needing snow stakes. Deadmen are fantastic. They set in like cement, and you don't need to carry them with you... just leave them in the snow and pull out the line when you're done.

Antti Peltola
(anttipeltola) - F
Re: On pitching a tarp in snow on 03/02/2011 06:44:02 MST Print View

"Maybe it's the snow in New England, but I can't understand needing snow stakes. Deadmen are fantastic. They set in like cement, and you don't need to carry them with you."

Snow stakes are not required in Finland either, but if we do use them, we normally set them up like deadmen http://www.moontrail.com/details/hilleberg/accessories/snowpegdiagram.jpg

Don't like using knots in the winter either. They require you to take off gloves while pitching, which is bad idea if weather gets really cold.

Theron Rohr
(theronr) - F

Re: Re: On pitching a tarp in snow on 03/03/2011 10:38:37 MST Print View

where I was (Sierras) there was probably 3 feet of fluffy snow on the ground. All the sticks and branches are deeply covered and breaking off new ones is frowned on. So the only alternative I see is to use snow stakes. I used my ski poles/trekking poles to support the tarp. Also whatever other items you use have to be dug up the next morning and that can be a lot of work if they're frozen in hard. This was the first time I've used snow stakes and I found they worked well to freeze into the snow after a while.

Brian Austin
(footeab) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: On pitching a tarp in snow on 03/03/2011 17:28:41 MST Print View

"Don't like using knots in the winter either. They require you to take off gloves while pitching, which is bad idea if weather gets really cold."

Use premade prussics on all of your guylines/tieouts. All you do is pull on them with gloves and they will slide to the desired tension.