Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Rotary Cutter Table

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Rotary Cutter Table on 01/29/2011 15:52:58 MST Print View

For a couple of years now I have been using plastic topped tables like this one for cutting fabric with a rotary cutter.

TABLE

Works well and the tables are pretty cheap if you wait for a sale.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Rotary Cutter Table on 01/29/2011 16:24:38 MST Print View

Thanks Daryl.

It doesn't get all "carved up"?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
"Rotary Cutter Table" on 01/29/2011 17:06:27 MST Print View

Use the cheapest ping-pong tables I can find, partly becasue they are 60" wide.
After a while they sag toward the middle and have to be replaced.
Wish I could find one with that cutting board type plastic.
And I use very sharp scissors, because I can zip them right along the cut line.
Guess a hot knife is best, but the good ones are quite espensive. So I just melt the edges slightly with a BIC lighter.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Todd Question on 01/29/2011 21:20:55 MST Print View

Yes, the table does get cuts in it but I don't care and it hasn't affected future use of the rotary cutter on the table.

I don't do that many projects. If one was in the business I would guess that the table would get pretty cut up and not be useable.

For my use, however, I think the table should last a lifetime.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Samuel Comment on 01/29/2011 21:22:25 MST Print View

Hey, a ping pong table would be a perfect size given the typical 60" width of fabric. Thanks for the tip.

Frederick Maxfield
(fredmax56) - M

Locale: New England
cutting mats on 01/30/2011 07:23:07 MST Print View

Hi Samuel,
southstarsupply.com sells cutting mats as large as 47 by 95 inches. They are not cheap but they look like would work well. I do not have any connection to South Star except I have purchased from them in the past.
Fred

Edited by fredmax56 on 01/30/2011 07:26:10 MST.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Todd Question Follow-up on 01/30/2011 13:06:21 MST Print View

Todd,

I took a closer look at the table that I have cut on for a couple of years. I can see the scratches in good light but they are so shallow I can't even feel them when I rub my fingers over them.

Daryl

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Todd Question Follow-up on 01/30/2011 13:09:11 MST Print View

Thanks Daryl. That's impressive, especially as you mentioned - for the small-time MYOG'ers (especially like me!) who don't make tons of gear.

would make a great father's day gift from my kids!

Todd

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: cutting mats on 01/30/2011 13:23:03 MST Print View

Walmart is stocking a mat similar to the large Elnas, the 24x36" jobs for ~$25 a piece.

I built my cutout table out of two framed 4x8 pieces of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. Ending with an 8x8 space, elevated on cinder block. High enough to work around but low get on top for doing layout for quilts.

I recommend buying those small mats and sticking them together in whatever size you need, painters tape will hold them together easily. These soft mats don't dull blades as quickly as the big white ones. However, I've found I use the exacto knife or utility knife blades more than rotary, since you can't cut cuben with the rotary blades very well.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
cutting table on 01/31/2011 07:52:31 MST Print View

I use a similar table I bought from Office Max. If you have a JoAnn's nearby, you can get the cutting mats and rotary cutters cheap if you have a 50% or 40% coupon...which is always around weekly. I bought some 5" bed risers from Bed, Bath and Beyond ( they have 7" as well) to raise the table so my back doesn't get tired. It works great. Get a couple of the tables and put the mats together and it makes for a good table...easy to store. Mine has folding legs. Costco also sells these tables, but a different brand. Those tables come in different sizes,and widths as well.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
plastic sheet on 01/31/2011 08:25:56 MST Print View

McMaster-Carr part #85585K27 works well, and they last a very long time. Polycarbonate tops are used on comercial XY CNC rotary cutter tables.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
rhino mats on 01/31/2011 08:27:05 MST Print View

Rhino mats are very reasonably priced. http://www.speedpress.com/cuttingmats
I recently bought a 2'x4' for $25.

Scott Littlefield
(sclittlefield) - F

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine
Less Expensive Cutting Mat on 02/01/2011 13:40:06 MST Print View

I love a really large cutting mat, but they're so expensive, over $100 - here's another great alternative:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23869&catid=705

HDPE sheet is what most of the very large cutting mats are made from - this is the same thing without the "cutting mat" label - at a much better price. I've got a 4'x8' sheet, as well as (2) 2'x4' sheets. 1/16" is plenty thick if you're putting it on a flat surface. Go it 1/8" maybe if you're going to use it on the rug. Put a note in your order to have them "Roll to Ship" - a full sheet can be rolled and shipped UPS for a fair price, rather than have it sent flat by Freight Truck (much more expensive).