50 Mile Charity Hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
Raul Perez
(WaterMonkey) - F
50 Mile Charity Hike on 01/29/2011 12:13:38 MST Print View

Hello:

My hiking buddy and I were discussing a way to make our hikes a bit more rewarding so we decided once a year to do a long distance hike in the name of charity.

Our event is called "The H3 Initiative: Hammock Hiking for Humanity" as we will be camping the entire way in hammocks.

The organization we chose is called Strength for Life ( www.strengthforlifeny.org ) which provides free fitness programs to cancer survivors and those coming off of chemotherapy treatments to assist in recovering from the treatments faster.

They also provide wellness weekends to those individuals to educate the cancer survivors on nutrition and to maintain a more healthy life after defeating cancer.

This is a special cause to us as my partner (Gear Slug) is a personal trainer and my family and my fiance's family have had several bouts with cancer. More recently my fiance's father just got diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this week.

We will receive NO benefit from this organization and we have a dedicated site to our event which you can provide a donation directly to the organization:

http://www.active.com/donate/strengthforlife2011/h3iRPerez

Thank you for reading this and thank you in advance for any donation you provide.

Sincerely,

Raul (Water Monkey) and Kent (Gear Slug)

PS

Moderators I did not see any rules against posting for charity. If I violated forum rules I apologize.

Raul Perez
(WaterMonkey) - F
Add'l Info on 01/29/2011 12:14:44 MST Print View

Sorry forgot to mention the hike:

We will be starting at the base of Bear Mountain, NY and hike to the CT Border on the Appalachian Trail for this cause.