Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Dyneema X: rodent proof?

Display Avatars Sort By:
te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Dyneema X: rodent proof? on 01/29/2011 09:16:50 MST Print View

anyone have experience with mice or other nuisance critters chewing substantial holes in Dyneema X?
I dunno if this has been covered before, but the reason i ask is that if i take the logic applied to using Spectra for Ursack bear bags, and use a thinner spectra for a food sack.. will that Ringtail get my donuts?

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Dyneema X: rodent proof? on 01/29/2011 10:10:12 MST Print View

Te Wa,

I'd recommend 1.5oz cuben instead. Much lighter, cost is very similar, and it's been observed to be rodent-proof. It's pretty obvious if you try to cut it with scissors why.

The white strands are the only spectra part of the the dyneema gridstop fabrics, with cuben being fully spectra cored.

Paul Nanian
(PaulNanian) - F
airbag fabric works well for a fraction of the cost on 01/29/2011 10:54:42 MST Print View

All pick-and-pulls will have cars with deployed airbags made with vectran or similar materials such as aramids. A few dollars will net enough vectran for a critter sack similar to an ursack for a fraction of the cost of one from cuben or dyneema x.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: airbag fabric works well for a fraction of the cost on 01/29/2011 13:53:42 MST Print View

good idea, ayce. thanks!
otoh, the ursack minor is fairly light. i wonder if i need something that robust..

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
nice idea on 01/29/2011 14:40:33 MST Print View

i will look too about airbags.
as for dyneema my wife tested it :
Patagonian mices 1 - dyneema 0

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Dyneema X: rodent proof? on 01/29/2011 15:38:13 MST Print View

I doubt dyneema X would stand a chance against rodents. I left a spectra Ursack in the mountains for a couple weeks and mice were able to chew tiny holes, although no food was lost. If the bag were merely dyneema X, I'm sure the holes would have been much bigger and I would have lost my food.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
"Dyneema X: rodent proof?" on 01/29/2011 17:09:21 MST Print View

Paul, what a great idea! Thanks much.