Forum Index » Gear Lists » AT Thru Hike

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
AT Thru Hike on 01/28/2011 14:09:45 MST Print View

This summer I plan to attempt a hike on the Appalachian trail. I can't start my hike until around June 8 and only have to around August 13 because of school and work, but I have a free flight to Maine so still want to just hike what I can going SOBO.

Pack:
Gossamer Gear G4 15.8
Trash bag 2
Homemade silnylon bags 2

Sleeping:
Golite Ultra 20 25 oz
Foam pad (modified) 9
Pillow .6

Shelter:
Tarptent (no netting, w/lines) 9
tite-lite stakes 1.6
polycro ground cloth 1.6

Packed clothes
Spare socks (2) 2
Cap 3 top 7.8
Wind pants 3
featherlite wind smock 4
Poncho 8.3
MYOG sandals 2

Kitchen:
Super cat stove .2
8 oz bottle (for alcohol) 1.5
ti spork .4
bear bag .5
line 4
imusa aluminum 700 2.4
1L platypus 1
2L platypus hoser 3.5

Misc:
hand sanitizer 3
toothpaste 1
medkit 1.5
photon microlight .5
derma safe knife .3
pen .3
journal 4
cell phone charger 3
tp 1
toothbrush .5

Carried on me:
Featherlite poles 10
polar pure 3
lighter 1
cell phone/mp3/camera 4.1
headphones 1
copied maps/guide book pages 1
bandanna 1

Worn Clothing:
Trail runners ??? Still not sure which ones
Exofficio nomad pants
Cap 1 L/S shirt
baseball hat
Wrightsocks cool mesh socks

This list is still a little rough, so if I seem to have forgotten something, fill me in. And I have some questions about parts of it as well. Some of the weights are estimations, and I would guess a bit high I think. I've never hiked anywhere but in the South around Georgia and NC. I was thinking about making a light synthetic quilt, like 40*, for the trip, but would that be warm enough with the clothes and gear I have listed there for the areas farther north? Also, would some sort of bug netting be a good decision for that time of year? And does anyone have suggestions on a good shoe to choose for this for someone with fairly high arches? Any suggestions on the other gear on the list is much appreciated as well. Thanks for any input.

Robert Patrick
(Rhea) - M
Maaine on 02/05/2011 00:22:41 MST Print View

Even when you are in Maine it might be colder than you are prepared for. It can be in the 30's easily then. Take the gear you would be comfortable with in a 35 degree trip in the south and you will be ok. I woke up one night at that time and had ice in my water? Of cource it was 60 that day so is the story of Maine.But beautiful country and a good wild trip. After the wilderness area a somewhat dificult up and down so you are right to stay as light as possible.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: AT Thru Hike on 02/05/2011 00:46:46 MST Print View

No bug net, no head net, no repellant?

--B.G.--

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Bug net on 02/09/2011 10:30:07 MST Print View

I have never really needed any bug repellent or netting, but I have only hiked in the South. What would be suggested for Maine in the summer? I have plenty of bug netting I could make a cover for when I am sleeping out of that. Would I need repellent as well for the day, do you think?

As far as the cold, I have a montbell alpine light jacket that I add to my system during the winter and it adds in a lot of extra warmth, so I think I may add that at least until I am past the Whites. Thanks for the thoughts. The help is really appreciated.