Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
12-Day Kauai Excursion (7 days kayaking around the Na Pali Coast) - Suggestions Appreciated!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
12-Day Kauai Excursion (7 days kayaking around the Na Pali Coast) - Suggestions Appreciated! on 01/27/2011 12:00:48 MST Print View

Here is a preliminary packing list for a 12-Day trip to Kauai
(7 Day Kayak Trip around the Na Pali Coast)

***Some of these weights have been taken off of websites and BPL’ers’ Gear Lists***

(I have not had time to personally weigh everything, yet, so my weights may be off)

Any, and all, suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers.

Pack:

HMG Windrider I – 24oz

Clothes:

2 pairs of socks (wool) – 2oz
2 pairs of boxers (exoficio) – 6oz
1 pair of boardshorts - 5oz
1 pair convertible, light-weight pants– 12.5oz
2 pairs of shirts (exoficio) – 10oz
1 bandana – 1oz
1/3 of a pack towel (MSR Ultralite XL cut in thirds) – 1oz
Montbell UL Wind Jacket – 2.6oz

Sleeping:

Exped Air Pillow – 3oz
1 silk liner (Sea-To-Summit, Regular) – 4.2oz
1 NeoAir Small – 9oz

Shelter:

1 Tarp (MLD Grace Duo) – 7.7oz
50’ Kelty Triptease – 1.0oz
Stakes (2 Groundhogs, 6 Ti-Eye) – 2.5oz
1 Bearpaw Minimalist 1 Bug Bivy – 8.5oz

Cooking/Kitchen

Ti-Tri Sidewinder – 2.75oz
12-10 Alcohol Stove – .56oz
900ml Evernew Titanium Stove – 4.2oz
Steripen Opti Adventurer – 3.6oz
600ml Snowpeak Titanium Mug – 2.8oz
Snowpeak Titanium Spork – .5oz

Health and Hygiene:

Toilet Paper (280 sheets, 2 ply) – 1.55oz
Dr. Bronner’s Soap (15ml) – .9oz
Toothbrush – .3oz
Toothpaste (20ml) – 1.06oz
AquaTabs (10 pack) – .15oz

Misc:

1 Pair of TiGoat AGP Hiking Poles – 7oz
1 Headlamp (BD Spot w/ batteries) – 3oz
1 Knife (CRKT Hug) – 2.5oz
1 Firesteel (Light My Fire) – 1oz
1 Small Bic Lighter – .4oz
1 Pair Salomon Amphibian 2 Shoes – 22oz
1 Pair Vibram Five Fingers KSO’s – 11.4oz
2 12.3liter Cuben Fiber Dry Bags – 1.7oz
Canon SD1000 Powershot – 6.17oz
6’ of Ductape – .6oz

Totals: 174.14(10.88lbs)

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Kayak Type? on 01/27/2011 17:22:20 MST Print View

Do you know the type of sea kayaks you will be using (recreational vs. touring)? If you will be using recreational kayaks (i.e., sit on top variety--these are what outfitters typically provide), then you will need to consider head to toe sun protection. The sun is fierce in Hawaii--don't underestimate it.

You definitely need a hat--one that covers your ears as it sucks to have the tops of your ears burned. Also, bear in mind that sunlight will be reflecting off the water, so you can get burned from the reflecting light (bottom of nose, chin, etc.). A good pair of sunglasses with polarized lenses is a must IMO. You may want to consider some light gloves for your hands, too.

Also, Kauai gets a lot of rain (depending on where you are, time of year, etc.)--there's a reason why it's the greenest of all of the Hawaiian islands.

I would recommend antibiotic ointment of some sort. Superficial wounds take longer to heal in that environment.

Water. Any naturally occuring fresh water down at sea level is going to be intestinal suicide. There are going to be wild pigs doing whatever wild pigs do in water further up the slope in the mountains. So, don't just filter the water. Nuke it with a robust water purification method.

I have to say that I am pretty jealous though. Despite the physically challenging environment, Kauai is beautiful. You may want to take an extra memory card (and battery) for your camera--it's a photogenic place. Oh, and don't forget a robust waterproofing case or pouch for your camera. Don't use a ziplock bag, but purchase an item geared for this purpose.

Edited by NightMarcher on 01/27/2011 17:43:00 MST.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: Kayak Type? on 01/27/2011 17:42:14 MST Print View

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information! I hiked the Kalalau Trail (Na Pali Coast) last year and lugged around a backpack much heavier that what I plan on doing this time. Now that I have a kayak, to carry most the weight, I will end up having a lighter pack. Go figure.

We are using a double, expedition kayak (of the sit-on-top variety). I agree about the sun, I won't underestimate it. Typically, sun doesn't bother me much. Though, I've been cooped up in Washington all winter...

But I am used to spending days, weeks, and months exposed to sun/water conditions. (I lived on a 9-acre island, with no running water or electricity, for two-months -- 45 miles off the coast of Belize) Alas, I will lug around a few ounces of sunblock...

Sunglasses! Good call. I definitely won't forget my Native Eyewear Polarized glasses! (I use them when I guide whitewater rafting trips)

Kauai DOES get lots of rain -- I love it! In fact, I'll be venturing out to a spot some say is the wettest place on earth! Should be a solid trip.

Thanks again for some extremely necessary reminders. Sometimes the most obvious things are the things overlooked.

Cheers.

EDIT: I might be ditching my camera and relying on my friend's waterproof camera (with extra memory cards!) I agree, Kauai is spectacular -- and it's not too difficult to get there from Seattle :)

Edited by sheepNgeese on 01/27/2011 17:46:40 MST.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Honolulu Stopover? on 01/27/2011 18:10:58 MST Print View

Are you stopping in Honolulu on your way over to Kauai?

Down To Earth is the place to go for your trail mix/granola addiction: http://www.downtoearth.org/

Edited by NightMarcher on 01/27/2011 18:12:10 MST.

Brian Austin
(footeab) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Honolulu Stopover? on 01/27/2011 18:23:51 MST Print View

Get a giant floppy "straw" sun hat with chin strap. The bigger the better. They are cooler than solid brimmed hats. Worth every penny IMO when the sun is shining and on the water. Especially when its so darned hot on the water. Otherwise the OR, sun hat with the arabian style, neck protector is a must and can be used for hiking/mountaineering. $29 bucks. Either the OR sun runner hat or their Sombrero.

Yea, those sunglasses, cheepos with polarized lenses are a must. Saltwater, travel, sharp rocks, sand, aren't a pretty sight on expensive sunglasses and coatings; get cheepos. Otherwise your expensive ones better have neck strap on them for when breakwaters etc. Bring a soft cloth for cleaning them!!! This is NOT generally a bandanna made from rough, read CHEEEP cloth. Rather this will be an undershirt, cotton or a lense cloth square is what I bring which is baby soft and won't scratch your lenses up. Even these cloths get dirty and need cleaned. Dried Salt spray on glasses is Very hard on the lenses(scratches if not glass). Don't tell me you won't get them wet... Nah, I don't splash my paddle! Those going with me won't splash me either, and heck those foaming waves, surly won't splash me... Sarcasm intended.

Enjoy, wish I was going.

Edited by footeab on 01/27/2011 18:26:14 MST.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: Honolulu Stopover? on 01/27/2011 19:14:54 MST Print View

Ahh, yessss, Down To Earth... I've been to the one in Kailua. I'll definitely hit up the one in Honolulu -- though, I'm pretty sure I scored a direct flight this time....

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: Re: Honolulu Stopover? on 01/27/2011 19:25:00 MST Print View

I do have a "sun" hat - the Mountain Hardwear Stimulus. In fact, I'll almost definitely be bringing this -- so thank you for the reminder! (and adding 2oz to my pack)

Cheepo glasses aren't a bad call. I'm sure I'll snag a pair before I head out.

Paddle splash? Neverrrrr. :)

Oh, and I'll also be picking up a pair of "Locals" - $1.99 cheapo flip flops that virtually weigh nothing -- more for nostalgia's sake...