MYOG 4season Tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
albert barragan
(comaone) - F

Locale: PNW
MYOG 4season Tent on 01/27/2011 10:33:00 MST Print View

Okay guys, Im new here, so take it easy. I have just begun to dip into the lighter side of backpacking, and was wondering a few things. I have a 3 season tent (Kelty Grand Mesa) that I use when I take my kids camping, its a solid tent not to heavy about 4lbs (yeah I know its real heavy for you folks) I would like to replace the current fly with a cuben fly, and also since 3/4 of the tent is netting, would like to make a liner (sort of like the linner on the tarptents) that would allow me to take this tent into 4 season territory. What do you guys think? Is that a possibility? how hard would it be for me to do so? and would that allow the tent to be use safely 4 seasons? I am in SoCal so no heavy snow like you East coast folks. TIA

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: MYOG 4season Tent on 01/27/2011 11:08:35 MST Print View

I would like to replace the current fly with a cuben fly

You're going to want to track down Mr. Dan Durston for that task. He made a bonded cuben fly for his tent and it turned out very nice.

For me, being quite new to sewing, the fly would be easier to do than the liner, but if you know you way around a sewing machine than most likely either won't be too hard. As long as you have the current fly and liner, then you've already got the pattern.

As for whether or not it will be fine for winter, depends on conditions/area, but some guys here use tarps in the winter.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 01/27/2011 12:36:38 MST Print View

It might be more trouble than it's worth to modify existing tent.

Just make what you want - it'll end up being more what you want and weigh less.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
MYOG 4season Tent on 01/27/2011 14:34:18 MST Print View

I would like to replace the current fly with a cuben fly

If you are doing that for fun (as a hobby...) then go ahead it may work out.
On the other hand if it is about not having to buy another shelter you might be surprised at how much it will cost.
Yes contact the ones that have done that before.
Don't forget that it isn't just the cost of the Cuben , you need to saw/bond it ,get all the trimmings like zippers and maybe even a new sewing machine or at least new needles. It all adds up...
Franco