Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Maine & Pesky Black Flies
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
Maine & Pesky Black Flies on 01/26/2011 09:00:27 MST Print View

Thinking about going up to southeastern Maine (not too far from the coast) in mid-June. What can I expect in terms of black flies, mossies, and other pesky biting insects? Will I miss the worst of it? Mike

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
Maine & Pesky Black Flies on 01/26/2011 19:10:46 MST Print View

You will probably be in Maine during the worst part of bug season that time of the month, wait a couple weeks if possible

Jebediah Stevens
(jebstevens84) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Maine & Pesky Black Flies on 01/28/2011 12:42:47 MST Print View

By "southeastern Maine," do you mean the downeast part of the state (i.e. east of, say, Ellsworth or Acadia)? There are a lot of boggy areas there, you will have bugs! A couple of weeks may not change matters much, it is often hard to avoid blackflies in Maine during the spring or early summer. With that said, bug populations tend to be highly variable- maybe you'll luck out!

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
Maine & Pesky Black Flies on 01/30/2011 13:12:18 MST Print View

Jim & Jeb, thanks for your replies. Jeb, if I go I will be based in the Bristol-Pemaquid area. I will try to move the trip closer to July and hope for the best. Mike

Jebediah Stevens
(jebstevens84) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Maine & Pesky Black Flies on 01/30/2011 15:36:11 MST Print View

That's a really beautiful area, I spent a lot of time this past summer in the Maine Midcoast doing research. Good luck and have fun! BTW, what trail(s) are you doing?