Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
recommendation for vest- on the move AND insulation for camp/sleep
Display Avatars Sort By:
Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Re: recommendation for vest- on the move AND insulation for camp/sleep on 01/25/2011 22:07:00 MST Print View

Fleece insulation is great in winter as long as you can wear it all the time, including in your sleep system (so make sure it fits inside your bag). Everything made from insulating fleece is a bear to stuff/pack compared to down and synth. loft.

I would look for a very thick pile vest--not sure if the R2 is thick enough. I have a 16 oz. (XL) R2 Body Rug pullover (no longer made?) that I find warmer than my 14 oz. (XL) MontBell UL jacket when worn under a thin soft shell, and way warmer than my R2 jacket in the same combination. The significant advantage is the Body Rug hardly absorbs moisture, and can be easily vented by unzipping the shell's pockets or even main zip--perfect for on-the-move in sub 20s F. The fleece's wind transparency makes it a bit easier to judge ventilation thru the outer shell than with down or synth. loft, which helps keep the baselayer relatively dry.

Even when stopped in the sub 20s, I find the Body Rug is surprisingly warm. I can't imagine a vest of the same thickness wouldn't be as versitile. As always, YMMV.

Dan Fleischman
(Fleischd) - F
Klymit on 01/25/2011 22:07:02 MST Print View

I would take a serious look at Klymit argon gas vests. They are expensive but would fit your needs perfectly. They aren't affected by moisture and you can adjust how much insulation you need on the fly by either releasing or adding gas to it.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: re on 01/25/2011 22:36:51 MST Print View

"I don't know what MET stands for (metabolic?):"

A MET is a unit of exercise output. This is kind of rough, but if you slow walk at two miles per hour, that is 2 METs. If you fast walk at four miles per hour, that is 4 METs. To do lightweight mountaineering (whatever that is) you should be capable of 8-9 METs. A young athletic male is typically capable of 12 METs. A world-class athlete might be capable of 16-18 METs.

If you get a really thorough treadmill test from your cardiologist, the result should have a score in METs.

--B.G.--

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
New R2 Vest on 01/25/2011 22:37:51 MST Print View

I've used an R2 vest quite a bit. It's been enough warmth for me over a thin baselayer and under a shell in all day cold wind and rain on a New Zealand trip. I've also found it warm enough in the teens and 20's with an r.5 and a Ready Mix shell over top.

The new R2 vest is very nice. I've got an older shaggy vest from 2007 that in size Large. I just got the latest version and had to size down to a medium and it fits like my old large.

Old version 10.7 oz

New Version 8.1 oz

I wouldn't bother with a vest in the R1 fabric if it's gonna weigh 9-10oz. Not much warmth for the weight and expense. I've got an old pullover R1 vest that weighs 6oz but I use it more for cycling.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
vest on 01/26/2011 07:11:39 MST Print View

lots of good comments- thanks! now worries straying off to Richard's work- I find his stuff incredibly interesting and useful

Looks like I don't want to go too heavy w/ the fleece or it's not going to work too well on the move, don't want to go too light or it's not going to be as much use in camp- I just need the Goldilocks of fleece vests :)

I also need to decide what role is more important camp/sleep vs on the move- the syn vest clearly is warmer and weighs less so it would be more desirable in the camp/sleep role

always a dam(n) compromise :)

read up a little on the Argon, very interesting and possibly very promising- probably not in the cards for me at this juncture though

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: vest on 01/26/2011 09:14:49 MST Print View

> I just need the Goldilocks of fleece vests :)

Indeed. As the temperature drops, activity level significantly changes the absolute amount of insulation. The colder it gets, the more you want different insulation for when you are active, when you are are at rest, and when you sleep. Hence the common light to mid weight fleece (or insulating softshell) for activity, belay jacket (or some other high loft garment) for at rest, and a sleeping bag or quilt for sleeping.

One way to to make a vest do all is aim to vary activity level to stay warm when you are active, and skip "at rest" and go stray to your sleeping insulation which you vent until you do sleep. There are some thru-hikers I have met that do this. No insulation other than there bag. I am not comfortable doing this, but for someone who is trying to go as light as possible, this can work. You just want to make sure you camp just before a big up to help you kick start warming up in the morning.

The other approach would be learn from folks who are very into mindfulness like Buddhist monks who use fairly minimalist clothing in a wide range of conditions.

--Mark

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
zippah me up baby on 01/26/2011 09:23:43 MST Print View

mike ...

it's called a zipper ;)

goldilocks didnt have one ... you do on yr vest .... lol

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

goldilocks on 01/26/2011 13:01:28 MST Print View

^ahhhh :)

Mark- the aim of the vest isn't so much to have it do all- like you might be able to do w/ 3 season use, this is aimed at winter (or near winter) conditions, so I'll have a decent puffy layer (Alpine Light parka), but I can see where a vest could augment that puffy layer in camp (or sleep) when the mercury drops- the conundrum comes in that I also see a need using same said vest (again when the mercury drops) on the move

the fleece appears to be the better choice on the move, looks like the thin syn trumps the fleece in camp

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: recommendation for vest- on the move AND insulation for camp/sleep on 01/26/2011 18:08:58 MST Print View

A Klymit vest may be a good choice for you. Sweating in it isn't going to mess it up. If you're planning to put on other layers in camp, you just need to wipe off your sweat.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/double-diamond.html

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

klymit on 01/26/2011 19:16:17 MST Print View

Eugene- Dan also mentioned looking into this hi-tech vest, very interesting to say the least :)

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
klymathingamajig on 01/26/2011 19:29:41 MST Print View

has anyone here actually used a klymat vest in the backcountry?

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Gassy vest on 01/26/2011 20:11:00 MST Print View

Re: “I would take a serious look at Klymit argon gas vests…. They aren't affected by moisture…” Is this the answer to a question raised in another thread, namely, how does one cope with the foggy, soggy, wet, muggy, moist PNW?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Gassy vest on 01/26/2011 20:22:57 MST Print View

Is this the answer to a question raised in another thread, namely, how does one cope with the foggy, soggy, wet, muggy, moist PNW?

It might be, but the only inflatable sleeping system that I'm aware of went out of production several years ago.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Gassy vest on 01/26/2011 20:28:04 MST Print View

Eugene said "It might be, but the only inflatable sleeping system that I'm aware of went out of production several years ago."

oh I see, want me to be the guinea pig :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

R2 on 02/09/2011 20:09:54 MST Print View

thought I would update the thread, found a used (new version) R2 for a good price, should be in my greasy hands within a week :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

update on 02/21/2011 15:16:38 MST Print View

quick update- have had the R2 vest out a couple of times w/ temps right at 0 (that's F :) )- with a light base layer (Cap1) and a R1 pullerover- the addition of the R2 was just about perfect. w/ light winds it was all that was needed, when the wind picked up I broke out the windshirt

these have been day trips, camping I still think a syn vest might be a little more advantageous w/ the clo edge