Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
I know we decided gear sucks and all, but check this out: Cuben Infused Cyanocitta.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
cyanocitta on 01/25/2011 09:55:19 MST Print View

I'm glad that didn't last too long :)

very nice indeed!

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: I know we decided gear sucks and all, but check this out: Cuben Infused Cyanocitta. on 01/25/2011 10:39:11 MST Print View

i am familiar with that pretty white fabric but what is that opaque black stuff? why would anyone make a quilt (or topbag in this case) from that stuff? crazy!

-Tim

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: I know we decided gear sucks and all, but check this out: Cuben Infused Cyanocitta. on 01/25/2011 11:16:20 MST Print View

Tim. ;)

Thanks everyone! Also yes, the top strip in cuben is to keep from soaking out the upper with your breath.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 01/25/2011 11:38:19 MST Print View

"Thanks everyone! Also yes, the top strip in cuben is to keep from soaking out the upper with your breath."

It sounds like someone has spent cold nights in their quilt, with breath condensation getting their quilt wet.

One question I have, is does different fabric condense more than other fabric?

Even with the Cuben strip, it'll get wet, drip down, and get whatever's below wet, which eventually get's back to whatever I'm wearing.

I have been experimenting with different fabrics:

Slippery ripstop condenses a lot

Fleece condenses less, but partly it's just that the water gets trapped in the fleece rather than dripping down.

Supplex nylon seems to condense much less, but I'm waiting for some colder nights to do a better test. Something about the fibers on the surface or the DWR coating.

I wonder how eVent would work because it has such a good DWR coating.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "I know we decided gear sucks and all, but check this out: Cuben Infused Cyanocitta." on 01/25/2011 11:47:55 MST Print View

Nice job! That's a great quilt!

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Cuben on 01/25/2011 12:34:00 MST Print View

Would be cool with a cuben footbox as well, lot of condensation down there too.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Cuben on 01/25/2011 12:56:02 MST Print View

Ike,

I offer eVent footboxes, which can be pretty effective, but I wouldn't recommend a Cuben footbox with a breathable body.. The concern is, if you block the footbox moisture inside the quilt, it's just going to migrate to other areas, and get trapped there.

Jerry,

I actually recommended using eVent for the top strip to the customer, but I think he made the right choice with the cuben. Since the cuben is completely waterproof, it's not going to absorb any of that moisture, and since it doesn't have any protruding fibers, I think most of the moisture is going to bounce right off of it. It likely will form some condensate on the outside, but at least it will not soak the insulation, and can be wiped right off. Since the moisture vector is from outside the quilt, it shouldn't migrate inside.

Brian Senez
(bsenez) - MLife

Locale: New England
more details and pictures of 19oz winter quilt on 01/31/2011 20:37:50 MST Print View

I'm really excited about my new quilt. The weight is amazing, 542g (19.11oz) on my scale. I took a few pictures to show off the quilt and with my Arc Alpinist for comparison. Javan was great to deal with and has excellent attention to detail.

I wanted this quilt as light and warm as possible while still maintaining versatility. I was tempted by shell fabrics like M50 and cuben. I think this quilt with down clothing will be comfortable at 0F. I can't wait to get out and try it.

Cyanocitta 1

Cyanocitta 2

Cyanocitta 3

Cyanocitta 4

I took a few pictures with my Alpinist. The Nunatak quilt is a medium with 2oz of overfill weighing 595g (20.98oz). The Nunatak will be on the gear swap shortly.

Cyanocitta 5

Cyanocitta 6Cyanocitta 7

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Partly Cuben on 02/01/2011 10:19:09 MST Print View

For What It’s Worth: note the length of the “Long:” 6 feet, which is long enough to cinch around the neck, so it’s not exactly a “Half Bag” or “Elephant’s Foot.”

Vireo
25°-45°F / -4°-7.2°C 1 lb 62" $234 $234
1 lb 1oz 68" $249 $249
1 lb 2oz 72" $259 $259
The Vireo was designed with alpine climbers in mind. It has no zipper, no hood, a variable down fill and weighs only 16 ounces. A variable down fill means that the lower part of the bag has more down fill (rated to 25) and the upper section has less fill (a 45 rating).
[I have no connection to FF.]