Forum Index » GEAR » Preferred sleeping p[ad for forming framless pack.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
GG SitLight on 01/17/2013 08:46:27 MST Print View

Two things,

1] Stiff pad for a "Frame". In my GoLite Jam backpack I pulled out the pad that came with it and replaced with the Gossamer Gear SitLight pad which is more stiff and does a much better job of providing the rigidity and support needed.

2] Stop putting everything into compression/stuff sacks. Particularly jackets and quilts. Allow them to expand and conform to your pack will result in a much more evenly distributed and comfortable load.

Edited by randalmartin on 01/17/2013 08:50:39 MST.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Presence
Re: Preferred sleeping p[ad for forming framless pack. on 01/17/2013 09:22:06 MST Print View

I've tried 3 methods: 1) my regular NeoAir, kinda like Mike M does, 2) a stiff 3/8" pad rolled up with gear stuffed inside, and 3) the same pad folded with it against my back and gear against that.

I like the NeoAir best...by a long shot. I place it in the pack paying no attn to air, stuff my gear in, then inflate the NeoAir a little (I leave the valve up top of course).

With the 3/8" pad rolled with gear inside....I feel like I'm carrying a barrel on my back that wants to roll side to side. I felt like the 3rd method put the weight of my gear to far from me...and it seemed uncomfortably stiff.

I'm using a small pack (ZimmerBuilt Zen) and carry between 7.25 and 10 lbs, total....with no hip belt. I also do what Randy Martin does: stuff clothes and sleeping bag inside the pack sans stuff sacks.

I feel similarly to Mike W too. For me, I don't think anything is needed, really. But, as I said before, of the 3 methods, I much prefer the NeoAir. It's soft and conforms perfectly to my back. As a plus, I get to sleep on it at night!