Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/23/2011 12:21:38 MST Print View

It has been over a month since my last backpacking trip; the longest time in the last year and a half, since I started backpacking. So no, I have not backpacked my whole life; I have hiked since I was little, and most of my life has been about the outdoors. I've lived off the grid in a cabin I built with some help from my friends, I've farmed, landscaped (still do that), led hikes and I live in a cabin that I consider luxurious where to some it would be very basic ( have electricity but need to run the generator to spin the washer..).
I started backpacking when my mother died a year and a half ago and I returned to Switzerland to take care of things. After the funeral I had a few days before my flight back and for the first time, with both my parents now gone and despite some very welcoming and loving extended family, I felt without "home". So I borrowed some gear from my cousins and headed for the Alps and found my home in the mountains. I came back to California and through my friend Joshua learned about BPL and soon did my first trip with fellow members Ken Thompson, Cameron Kennedy, Jay Wilkerson, David Lutz, Josua and son Ocean; that was to the Trinity Alps, to Canyon Creek Lakes and L lake. The beauty of the place and the truly great people I met got me hooked. I don't backpack to get away from anything, really, rather to go find my home again.
This already sounds soupy, so I'll try and fast forward.
There is a coastal resort, fifteen minutes from where I live, called Costanoa. I have worked there in different capacities since it's beginning twelve years ago.I have a fulltime job,but I get called regularly to teach crafts, to take kids on "adventure hikes", and to lead hikes for gropus, as the resident naturalist.
This weekend I had wanted to go backpacking, but I was asked to lead two hikes, one to the hills overlooking Ano Nuevo island, from 11 am to 1pm, and another one from 2 to 4 pm, taking out a group of 22 people, brought together by a 60th birthday. Some flew in from as far as New York, some from elsewhere in California and some where from the Bay Area.
This post is about how lucky I am to live where I live, and to get paid to do something like this.
I leave home and drive 6 minutes of a windy road, north of the town of Davenport, which takes me back to Highway 1, less than a mile south of Waddell beach, where Big Basin meets the Pacific. As I drive along the beach, I spot a lone elephant seal bull ( there is a large colony two miles north, off of Ano Nuevo Island) and since I am a liitle early for my hike, I get out and take these pictures

waddell

waddell

bull

bull

Back in the car for five more minutes of scenic driving that take me to the resort. So much of the landscaping has been my doing here and I am always glad to see the plants grow and thrive, well most of them anyway...
For the first hike I take a family of four, including two teenagers, and two elderly but very energetic couples, on ridge overlooking the resort and miles of coast. Officially this is a three mile hike, I say it's no more than two. I get to talk about the plants, the insects, the geology of the area, as we take in some breathtaking views. I had left my camera in the car, so I have no proof of that.
The hills are still green, the soil is soft, the scats are plentiful and thankfully the wind is elsewhere, for once.

We get back to Costanoa and as we part, the friendly and appreciative mother shakes my hand, leaving me with a handsome tip. I am already in disbelief that I actually get paid , and well, to do something like that, and here this.
I have an hour between hikes, so I sit on the Ranchhouse porch, overlooking the Ocean, and take out my knitting. I finish one of my beanies and a guest, who has been sitting nearby, asks me about it and buys it from me. :)
Oscar, the director of Activities, briefs me about this second hike.They are all in their fifties and sixties, some quite heavy, so take it easy, help them climb down to the beach in the one tricky spot. He will surprise the birthday couple, and twenty of their friend and family, by hiking ahead and waiting at Franklin Point, on the deck, with bottles of sparkling wine and chocolate.

So all twenty three of us walk through the resort, cross Highway 1 and after spending a few minutes discussing poison oak, we continue our hike single file, through sand dunes amongst Arroyo willow, European beach grass, spent poison Hemlock, bush lupine, coyote brush, coffee berry, Artemisia, beach strawberry, buckwheat, poison oak.... About a mile of meandering takes us to the beach just north of Franklin Point. There are three distinct points along this coast: from the south it's Ano Nuevo, Franklin and Pidgeon Point.

Franklin

We make it to the deck at Franklin Point, the happy couple celebrating and imbibing with their friends, while Oscar entertains them all with stories of sunken ships and how we are now standing on the recently discovered remains of some of the passengers of a ship called the "Franklin".
We decide to give everybody a choice of either going back the same way we came, with Oscar, or making a loop ( another two miles) with me. I am pleasantly surprised that all but four decide to keep going . The silvery Ocean and the amazing clouds had something to do with that.

silver

shadows

silver

plants

silver

We've been walking along the bluffs, north to south. We look down upon Whitehouse beach ( more on that in a bit) to see a receding tide. It's time now to veer off on a different trail that takes us back to the resort, where outdoor jacuzzi and massages await some of the lucky group. We are running late, but no one seems to care. I encourage them, once again, to come back at sunset; there is an easy path to this last beach, and the clouds seem to promise something memorable .

beach

Back at the resort, more thanks, more tips, more spirits for some. I am done for the day. As I drive out onto the highway, I decide to take my own advice and park again and walk all of ten minutes to get back to the beach we just left a little while ago. And it delivers.

sunset

There was no one else on this beach. It's just one of many along this beautiful coast.

The sunset pictures are not in order, my punctuation leaves a lot to be desired, I wish I wrote better, I probably said too much. I didn't get to go backpacking....oh well.

Edited by Kat_P on 01/23/2011 20:24:15 MST.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/23/2011 12:43:14 MST Print View

Love the pictures!
Sounds like a great "job"! Whether anyone/everyone will admit to it or not, we're all looking for home.
Stay outside!
Steven M.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/23/2011 13:22:32 MST Print View

I was hiking along the very same piece of beach on Saturday, except that I was there at high tide. A few of those elephant seals were sleeping on the sand. This one poor fellow (photo) was in trouble, as his ribs were showing. That is not normal for an elephant seal male.
sleeping elephant seal

--B.G.--

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/23/2011 13:22:33 MST Print View

Awesome Kat! Such a nice story too. Indeed we are lucky to live along the coast here, it is truely paradise.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Nice Kat on 01/23/2011 13:24:06 MST Print View

It great when we have those moments when everything in life just seems to come together. Looks like you had a day full of such moments.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

paradise on 01/23/2011 13:28:22 MST Print View

@Steve. I think you are right .
@Bob. Nice picture, poor fellow. My pics are from Saturday ( yesterday) as well.
@Ken. Thanks; you know all about this coast, just preaching to the choir with you :)
@Greg. Yeah, I am so thankful . My daughter (15) is tired to hear me say how lucky we are: " ....really, mom? Because I like hear it like everyday....." . That complaint makes me grin inside.

Edited by Kat_P on 01/23/2011 13:30:51 MST.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Paradise on 01/23/2011 13:48:44 MST Print View

Kat, that was such a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing what sounds like a great day in your life. And you are a very good writer, by the way.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Paradise on 01/23/2011 14:55:24 MST Print View

Kat,

Thanks for posting the awesome pics and report. It looks like a great way to spend a weekend.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/23/2011 15:05:19 MST Print View

Katharina,

Thanks for sharing your story and your day. We have similar stories -- I (re) started hiking as my father was dying a couple of years ago, taking my first backpacking trip in years two days after we buried him. He's the one who got me into hiking and backpacking when I was a kid. I still 'chat' with him sometimes when I'm out in the woods.

You are quite lucky to live where you do and to be able to do things you love. And your friends are quite lucky to have someone like you to backpack with. Regardless of punctuation, you write beautifully, in no small part because you write from the heart, and include a healthy dose of your soul. I'll gladly read writing like that any day.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Thanks on 01/23/2011 16:01:49 MST Print View

@Gary
@Dave
@Doug
Thanks, you are kind.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/23/2011 17:24:56 MST Print View

"I didn't get to go backpacking....oh well."

When somebody sees the natural world as clearly and sensitively as you, backpacking is only one of many options. Beautiful story and flat out the most exquisite pictures I've ever seen here on BPL. The moon shots gave me goose bumps.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

moon on 01/24/2011 05:47:54 MST Print View

Thank you Tom. At risk of losing something here, I have to tell you that those shots are not of the moon, but rather of the afternoon sun. I shot straight at it and the camera compensated and darkened the rest a bit. It was an afternoon with a low ,heavy, settled haze and that combined with the clouds made it all almost magical, but it was not quite as dark as that.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/24/2011 13:43:53 MST Print View

Katharina,

Not backpacking...better than backpacking because you are sharing something special with others.

Where backpacking can be very much about ourselves, you are taking the time to share your passion of the outdoors with others. Maybe even inspire them to get out and take backpacking adventures themselves.

For me, home is not just a place where I live, but it is the mental space where I surround myself with friends and family...the community that I chose to belong to and the relationships that I have.

I hope that you find your sense of home for yourself, but I have a feeling that you already have just by the fact that you are expressing what is important to you via this trip report.

Thanks for sharing your story and you personal history.

As I have said, some of the best people I have met and know are backpackers...shared passion.

-Tony

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: Not backpacking, but indulge me anyway on 01/24/2011 14:14:09 MST Print View

Katharina,

You're awesome!

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Nice on 01/24/2011 15:50:07 MST Print View

Kat,
It seems I like to hear you ramble on in writing as much as I do in person. for those who have not been lucky enough to have spent time with you on the trail, this will give them just a glimpse of what its like. You will learn alot.

I think the beauty you seem able to find in just about anything you gaze upon, is really just a reflection of what you have inside (talk about soupy!). Your phots are awesome, but Ive seen you marvel at dry moss on a rock like it was art.

But how cool that you get paid for this kind of stuff! I didnt know you did that! Yes, very cool. I definitely enjoyed my short tour of your coast paradise, I had no idea we were being guided by a professional! I didnt even tip! Oh and Libby may act like she doesnt get it but she definitely does, I've seen her get pretty soupy about this stuff too!

Adan

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Thanks on 01/24/2011 17:02:53 MST Print View

Tony, Casey and Adan, I am touched.

Edited to add that I thank you all so much. BPL is by far my favourite place to go online, and it is the people and their stories that make it great.
Thanks again Tom for your post below; I did not want to post again and bring this to the top,

Edited by Kat_P on 01/28/2011 12:19:22 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: moon on 01/24/2011 18:18:52 MST Print View

"At risk of losing something here, I have to tell you that those shots are not of the moon, but rather of the afternoon sun."

That makes it even more impressive. You should add teaching photography to your teaching repetoire. I'll be first in line if you do! Might I suggest that some day you make it a point to schedule a trip in the Sierra to coincide with the full moon. I would love to see the trip report that came out of that one. I schedule a majority of mine that way, because it has an effect that can only be described as sheer magic. My problem is that I am camera challenged and so can bring back only memories. Sigh....