Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Salute to the BPL community
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burke
(ore.trailtrash) - F

Locale: Lost in the Cascades
Salute to the BPL community on 01/22/2011 17:02:21 MST Print View

I began backpacking as a youngster in the late '70s. External frames, 5 lb. sleeping bags, 10 lb. tents and the ubiquitous stainless steel mess kit were considered essential for any serious backpacker. 60 lbs. was a standard summer load.
The late '80's found me in the military amidst a group of individuals that operated 'unconventionally'. 100 lb. pack and 25 lbs. of basic kit while strolling through mountains, jungle or desert was a thankfully 'light load out'.
Year 2000 I found myself once again among people that carried a pack for recreation. No weapons, ammunition, radios or proprietary batteries. I was overjoyed to be humping a pack that 'only' weighed 50 lbs.
Shortly thereafter and $1500 later I was introduced to the Ray Jardine Concept by a friend/co-worker. BPL followed soon after.
I cannot possibly express my gratitude to Dr. Jordan, the BPL staff and everyone that has in any way contributed to Backpacking Light. Skin-out I now top the scales at 12 lbs. and am growing lighter with each passing trip. My feet, ankles, knees and spine wish to to thank everyone in the BPL community.

-Regardless the load, Happy Trails to all-