Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Healthy summer sausage?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joel Waddell
(TenderPaw) - F

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Healthy summer sausage? on 01/18/2011 13:26:00 MST Print View

Looking for a healthy summer sausage i.e. no msg, as natural as possible.

anyone have a solution?

Joel

Edited by TenderPaw on 01/18/2011 13:41:31 MST.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Healthy summer sausage? on 01/18/2011 14:41:49 MST Print View

Consult a local butcher / sausage maker and have them make some naturally cured bison sausage for you. Old fashion like.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Sausage suggestions on 01/18/2011 14:53:23 MST Print View

I like to get sausages from a local German deli near me (Mattern's @ Chapman in Orange, CA.) They are made from scratch there, and if they sound good, look up your local Jewish, Croatian, or the many European (German, Italian, French) and British (and their Irish and Scottish) corollaries for on-site made sausage.

My German deli can make the sausage to my specifications, and will add only the basic ingredients. Some notes - the amount of salt and shortening used in sausage manufacture is hardly labeled "healthy" by my many Southern Californian neighbors, but it does fall in line with the only preservatives being the salt, sugars, and drying process. It can be very yummy.

If you have never had natural sausage this way, a warning - the lard, or fat may liquefy in some sausages and will ooze out. Some people do not expect this, and it can make them stick with pepperoni sticks for life. Also, some sausages will use blood, and so forth, that when eaten outside, with the sunlight shining on it, can make the less accustomed what in the world is this thing!

When picking a dried sausage, ask your deli expert any questions you like about how long it will keep, and what the ingredients are. They'll be happy to help. I love taking these sausages on trips, adding a bit to soup, and taking bites of it during a cold night. It never hardens up on me like chocolate.

Good luck! Write back with what you tried.

I hope this helps you on your way.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Healthy summer sausage? on 01/18/2011 15:01:23 MST Print View

Vermont Smoke and Cure is pretty good for a non-local butcher. I buy their stuff at my local organic grocer.

Joel Waddell
(TenderPaw) - F

Locale: Lake Tahoe
vermont sausage? on 01/18/2011 15:56:24 MST Print View

sounds like they make just what I'm looking for, are they worth the cash?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: vermont sausage? on 01/18/2011 16:07:40 MST Print View

Joel,
I just ordered some "Sticks". UPS is $14! So they better be good.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Healthy summer sausage? on 01/18/2011 16:08:39 MST Print View

I don't a lot of it....sodium wise I can't handle much but I have seen nice stuff at our local co-op and as well at Whole Foods :-)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Amish/Mennonite on 01/18/2011 17:15:09 MST Print View

Not sure if you are in an area where you might have a Farmers Market with Amish or Mennonite folks... however, if you are, they make some great meats for the trail.