Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Backcountry Water Quality: Technologies, Trends and Paranoia?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Cat Jasins
(CatJasins) - MLife
Backcountry Water Quality: Technologies, Trends and Paranoia? on 09/20/2006 03:45:36 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Backcountry Water Quality: Technologies, Trends and Paranoia?

Terry Dussault
(tdussault)
Your forgot Hydatid cysts on 09/20/2006 07:43:32 MDT Print View

I Backpack in Isle Royale National Park once a year. This is home to hytadid cysts. Of all the remedies you mentioned, only boiling and filtration work on these cysts. They are mainly found in Canada. I have only read about the effects on moose. I can only conclude that humans would not fare well if exposed to these critters.

Peter Wood
(peterwood) - F
Backcountry Water Quality: Technologies, Trends and Paranoia on 09/21/2006 17:12:43 MDT Print View

The only direct product recommendation I see in this comprehensive and erudite article is Aqua Mira. However since we are at least equally at risk to pathogenic infection from hands and other forms of transmission, doesn't Klearwater make more sense since it is the only product listed that can be used SAFELY for hand wash, wounds, etc.?

Tod Schimelpfenig
(tod_schimelpfnig) - F
Question on a chart in the article on 09/23/2006 15:53:37 MDT Print View

The chart titled "What are the current treatment technologies available?" indicates that Polar Pure is ineffective against viruses. My understanding is that iodine is effective against viruses, albeit if used properly at appropriate concentrations and contact times. Can this point be clarified? Is it relative to biofilms?

james miron
(vitulla) - F
Backcountry Water Quality: Technologies, Trends and Paranoia on 07/18/2008 00:34:51 MDT Print View

Knowledge, experience regarding the efficacy of household bleach? If worth considering, recommended usage techniques?

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Backcountry Water Quality: Technologies, Trends and Paranoia on 07/19/2008 23:06:01 MDT Print View

Household bleach is fairly effective, but tastes like a swimming pool, and has a strong residual.

Clear water instructions are:

Add two drops of bleach per quart/liter of water. Stir well. Let the mixture stand for a half hour before drinking.

If the water is cloudy with suspended particles:

Prefilter the water as best you can. Add four drops of bleach per quart/liter of water. Stir extra well. Wait a half hour. Then plug your nose and drink.

If you have the chemistry skills to deduce the molar equivalents, you can neutralize bleach with hyrogen peroxide, which will form salt. Yummy!

Not a very popular method, as you can imagine.