Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users on 01/15/2011 14:07:22 MST Print View

Staring at the above map...

1. Despite being the second largest country in the world, most all Canadians live close to the US -- so they pretty much blend in with us.

2. Fascinating how the US is divided so neatly into two halves -- practically a straight line from north to south! Population sparses out just as soon as you leave the prairie states -- until you reach the Pacific coast.

3. Great graphical depiction of developed vs. developing vs. under-developing countries. Pity Africa. But Philippines and Indonesia are surprisingly well lit.

4. Australia is almost one big empty space -- except for the east coast (Sydney/Melbourne) and a bit on the west (Perth).

5. Except for Turkey and Indonesia -- most all Muslim countries are dimmed way down. Did Facebook insult the prophet or something?

6. China and Russia are conspicuously absent! Both have their own domestic "friend" networks. Additionally, China actively blocks out Facebook!

Feel free to add your observations!

Edited by ben2world on 01/15/2011 14:20:07 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users on 01/15/2011 14:39:28 MST Print View

I'm not surprised about the Philippines. They've been on my radar since the ILOVEYOU virus. Now they're the #1 source of spammers on a site I moderate. Several of my family members in the PI are on FB too.

James Townsend
(j21a2t89) - MLife

Locale: South Wales
europe on 01/15/2011 16:55:12 MST Print View

Is it just me or does europe look like the welsh dragon?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: europe on 01/15/2011 17:32:39 MST Print View

Looks more like an angel with back problems!

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
europe on 01/15/2011 18:02:12 MST Print View

looks like a griffin

go Gryffindor!

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
facebook on 01/15/2011 18:16:34 MST Print View

When you play XBOX it shows a map of active players online that looks nearly identical. I cant wait for the next thing that blows facebook outta the water, its only a matter of time and hopefully a website that respects its users' privacy.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: facebook on 01/15/2011 18:51:27 MST Print View

"cant wait for the next thing that blows facebook outta the water, its only a matter of time..."

Well, given the $500M of private funds recently invested, it won't happen soon.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users on 01/15/2011 22:31:33 MST Print View

> Australia is almost one big empty space -- except for the east coast (Sydney/Melbourne) and a bit on the west (Perth).

Yup.
Pretty accurate depiction of the population distribution.
And equally of the availability (or scarcity) of water.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users on 01/16/2011 03:51:00 MST Print View

I don't understand the popularity or useful purpose of Facebook.

But then I get PO'd if someone sends me a text message on my phone... why don't they just call me? But then, I usually don't answer my phone either.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Lights on earth from space on 01/16/2011 06:11:38 MST Print View

This photo shows a very similiar profile. It would be a good indication of the power availability and population density on earth.

earth lights

Edited by gg-man on 01/16/2011 06:12:50 MST.

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Re: World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users on 01/16/2011 16:18:45 MST Print View

> 5. Except for Turkey and Indonesia -- most all Muslim countries are dimmed way down. Did Facebook insult the prophet or something?

Seriously, where is their priorities in feeding the IAO's data mining project?!? pfft