Forum Index » GEAR » What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc.

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Locale: Great Lakes Area
What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 15:12:06 MDT Print View

I am trying to figure out what to do about a sleeping bag pad. I presently have a Therma Rest 4 weighing in at 2lbs. 1 oz. I can't have a pad weighing 1/2 lbs. more than my shelter.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 15:50:32 MDT Print View

In summer I use a cheapo blue foam pad cut down to 26" length and tapering from 19" to 15". 2.29oz and probably could be narrowed a bit more now that I've used it. Also put my pack under my legs. Not quite sure what I'm going to try for winter.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 19:26:26 MDT Print View

Too many miles on this aging back!

An air mattress; Insulmat Max-Thermo 3/4 length and a piece of CCF under my feet. 15 oz. for the mattress + 2 oz. for the CCF.

The CCF stiffens my Golite Jam pack and serves as a seat in camp.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 19:32:13 MDT Print View

Thermarest Prolite 3 short and a 1/4 inch thick foam pad of unknown heritage under my feet and to sit upon

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 19:49:02 MDT Print View

REI Lite Core self-inflating pad (3/4 length) plus a quarter-length blue foam pad that doubles as chair pad in camp.

Al Clemens
(al) - F
Ridgerest on 09/19/2006 19:53:06 MDT Print View

I use a Ridgerest Deluxe large, for the extra width (25"), keeps my arms from getting cold as I sleep on my back. I cut it down to 48" and use the backpack pad for the lower legs. Weight is around a pound.

Mary Simpson
(maryphyl) - F
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 19:57:03 MDT Print View

Well, last weekend I tried out my new BMW 10 ounce inflatable--I also took 4 sections of cut down Z-rest for my feet and for a chair. I was comfortable. Mary

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 21:41:00 MDT Print View

For three-season conditions, I use a variety of pads ranging in weight from a cut-down Mt. Washington pad(4.7 oz.) to a Thermarest Ultralight 3/4 (16.2 oz.) depending or the trade-off of comfort vs. weight I'm willing to accept for a particular trip. My Vapor Trail pack insulates my lower legs and feet. In colder weather, I throw a RidgeRest under the Thermarest for greater warmth.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/19/2006 23:54:08 MDT Print View

I made on of the hybrid pads from Mike Clelland's article. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_multi_pad_ground_sheet.html) I was happy to see the article as I had just found a used BMW TorsoLite pad and it just wasn't big enough for me. Adding the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad took care of my legs and gave enough room to sleep on my side. The Thinlight material is really warm.

I've used inflatable Thermarest, RidgeRest, and Z-Lite pads. They all work. It comes down to bulk as much as anything, which is why I pursued the hybrid pad.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
Mary! on 09/20/2006 00:21:45 MDT Print View

Maryphyl - it's lovely to see you here, sweetheart.

i have a TorsoLite, which i love but i just can't stay faithful to. i occasionally cheat on it with a z-rest, and i used to cat around with a Prolite, until the actual cats got to it. i should make them into winter hats.

Nikolas Andersen
(nsandersen) - MLife
Mats on 09/20/2006 08:58:28 MDT Print View

Pacific Outdorr Equipment Insul-Mat Über-Lite. Will top it up with a 3/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlight and see how it goes when it gets colder.

John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Locale: Great Lakes Area
reply to sleeping pad on 09/20/2006 17:43:05 MDT Print View

So Nickolas, Is this your present system? If so...how is it in the cold. I didn't quite understand what you were implying.

Edited by jrowling on 09/20/2006 17:43:41 MDT.

Chris Miller
(chrisdm) - F
Insulmat Max Thermo-Lite on 09/20/2006 17:51:09 MDT Print View

I love my new InsulMat Max Thermo-Lite. It's a full body, comfy pad for 19oz... It is very similar in size and weight to my ProLite 3 Regular, but a bit more comfortable thanks to the side rails. My Prolite has been demoted to "spare".

I also like that a repair kit is included in the stuff sack.

Drew Davis
(drewnc2005) - F

Locale: Hillsborough, NC
Re: Insulmat Max Thermo on 09/20/2006 20:16:19 MDT Print View

I second the Insulmat Max Thermo. I have the mummy version. 2.5'' thick - perfect for side sleepers

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Insul Mat SL Lite Mtn 1.0 Sleeping Pad on 09/21/2006 12:40:22 MDT Print View

Anybody using one of these? There's a deal on REI-Outlet.com, so, I'm wondering why it wasn't selling well.

Dwight

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: What's Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc. on 09/21/2006 12:58:37 MDT Print View

John,

Try a Gossamer Gear torso length Nightlight pad (3.5 oz) paired with a GG 19.5" x 59" x 3/8" pad (5.3 oz). Put your feet near the bottom of the 3/8" pad then put the torso pad on it, dimples down, such that it extends from the small of your back to your head. This creates a depression for your butt (back sleepers) or hips (side sleepers) which is very comfortable. I now use this system (~ 9 oz) instead of a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mummy mattress (~ 19 oz). In addition to weighing less, it provides much better insulation and will never lose air due to a hole or faulty valve.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Insul Mat SL Lite Mtn 1.0 Sleeping Pad on 09/21/2006 14:14:03 MDT Print View

Dwight, I use the 3/4 version on occasion. It's pretty comfortable for a closed cell pad. The REI copy on the website is incorrect. The insert in the SL Lite Mtn is EVA foam, not inflatable. I think they used the copy from the HyperLite by mistake. Also, the weight listed is off a bit. Mine weighs 10.7 oz. on my scale.

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks Dondo. on 09/21/2006 14:43:41 MDT Print View

I'll double check with them see if they'll make me a deal on one that is to the specs they quote.

Sunny Waller
(dancer) - M

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Thanks Dondo. on 09/22/2006 08:06:20 MDT Print View

Ditto for the Insul Mat Max-thermo..cannot leave home without it.

Chris Miller
(chrisdm) - F
Re: Re: Thanks Dondo. on 09/22/2006 08:38:36 MDT Print View

RE Max Thermo, I'm using the Lite version, which is self-inflatable and 1" thick, full-body pad. Also a few ounces lighter than the orifinal Max Thermo... Here's both for comparison:

http://search.backcountry.com/exec/?mv_session_id=rzdQrzMn&aff=1&search_button.x=0&search_button.y=0&q=max+thermo

Edited by chrisdm on 09/22/2006 08:39:18 MDT.