Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Glacier National Park 3 night backcountry trip in August - Help!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek) - F

Locale: New England
Glacier National Park 3 night backcountry trip in August - Help! on 01/11/2011 21:32:26 MST Print View

Hola BPL. I will be taking a week long trip in Glacier National Park with my Mom this coming August. Here's a rough schedule/brain storm:

Saturday - Arrive, Lodge/cabin
Sunday - Backcountry
Monday - Backcountry
Tuesday - Backcountry
Wednesday - Lodge/cabin
Thursday - Backcountry
Friday - Lodge/cabin
Saturday - Home

We haven't booked our flight yet so we could tag on an extra day. I would like to keep daily mileage to 10 miles max (I want my mom to enjoy the trip). What would be best way to get into the mountains for a 3 night trip? Where can we park? I could probably talk my mom into an extra night out in the backcountry if it makes trip planning easier.

I have read suggestions on this forum to check out Boulder Pass, Stoney Indian Pass, Brown Pass, Lake Francis. Any others?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I have been staring at this Route Planning Map and I could use some guidance. THANKS!

Paul Bright
(HikeNC) - F
Re: Glacier National Park 3 night backcountry trip in August - Help! on 01/12/2011 08:51:14 MST Print View

I don’t have much experience in Glacier, but the Gunsight Pass Trail is awesome; I only had time for a quick out and back though. I wish I could have gone all the way through. Not sure the exact mileage from Lake McDonald to Saint Mary Lake. From two Medicine lake, Pitamakan Pass to Dawson Pass is a good loop. Although it’s not 30 miles you could add some more trails to it. The amount of miles you want to do really depend on the trail you’re on. A lot of them gain/lose thousands of feet in elevation.

From Many Glacier, Cracker Lake might be a good option for your last night in the backcountry. It’s less than 10 miles to the campsite; there are some photos on GoogleEarth you could check out.

Have plenty of options handy. If you’re not going to reserve campsites ahead of time it might be difficult to get exactly what you want, especially in August. Last year seemed pretty crowded; maybe it being the centennial year and all, but who the hell knows. Have fun!