Forum Index » GEAR » UL packs ideas?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sunny Waller
(dancer) - M

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Vapor Trail Side Pockets on 09/26/2006 07:56:41 MDT Print View

Ira..I use 2 one liter platy bottles with a hydration hose..I carry them in the side pockets of whatever pack I am using-they do fit in the side pockets of a fully loaded Vapor Trail. I do not have any balance issues when the bottle starts to get empty. The hose is extra weight but I stay hydrated when I use a hose. I have tried using a bladder inside the pack but I just do not like putting one there. I worry it will leak. I also like to see whats left in my bottle without taking it out of the pack. I have never put a bear cannister in a Granite Gear pack so I do not know how well they fit.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Vapor Trail Side Pockets on 09/29/2006 08:19:01 MDT Print View

I concur with Roy about keeping the bottom of the Granite Gear packs stuffed not overly tight and that keeping sleeping bag/quilt and clothes in a loosely stuffed sack in the bottom of the pack is a good way to manage that.

I carry 3 one liter bottles of water and a ID Silponcho in my Virga's 2 side pockets. I'm far from the most flexible guy in the world but it didn't take long to learn how to reach back to get and replace those items while wearin the pack. I use 1 liter soda bottles for water and tapered bottoms probably help a lot with that.

Edited by jcolten on 09/29/2006 08:19:38 MDT.