Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » single-servings of summer sausage?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Sturrock
(Byblow) - F
single-servings of summer sausage? on 01/11/2011 08:14:57 MST Print View

Does anyone know of any pre-packaged single servings of summer sausage or any other kind of pre-cooked meat or sausage? It's such a mess to slice up a stick of sausage on the trail, and I have a hard time cutting it up in equal portions for each day. If there are no single servings available, would dividing a sausage into single servings before the trek be feasible? If so, would you use ziplock bags, plastics wrap, etc.?

Mark Mendell
(mmendell) - M

Locale: Midwest
Summer Sausage on 01/11/2011 08:22:50 MST Print View

I just toss one in a ziploc and eat on it until it's gone. I've taken 2-3 days to finish it off with no problem.

Sara C
(Jon) - M

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas
Re: single-servings of summer sausage? on 01/11/2011 08:27:03 MST Print View

I've seen small packages of sausage at World Market, if you have one in your area.

Paul Sturrock
(Byblow) - F
World Market on 01/11/2011 08:33:55 MST Print View

Do you remember the brand name?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: World Market on 01/11/2011 12:45:10 MST Print View

I might be going by WM today or tomorrow - will try to snap a photo. They carry a lot of good ones.

Also check out what Minimus carries:
http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=sausage

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: World Market on 01/11/2011 13:25:23 MST Print View

The sausages on the Minimus site are the same ones World Market sells. Same three flavors as well. At least in my local World Market.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: single-servings of summer sausage? on 01/11/2011 16:00:13 MST Print View

There is a similar store called Cost Plus Imports, and they used to stock tiny turkey sausages. I think they were in a 1-ounce size, and plastic-sealed, of course.

--B.G.--

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: single-servings of summer sausage? on 01/11/2011 16:17:19 MST Print View

Cost Plus and World Market are one in the same. They have not changed all the CA stores to that name yet. Just a name change

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: single-servings of summer sausage? on 01/11/2011 16:27:10 MST Print View

Being the owner of a shiny new Food Saver, I'm wondering if it'd work to cut sections of a grocery store sized summer sausage and vacuum seal them.

(Cut using a reasonably well sterilized knife and cutting board)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: World Market on 01/11/2011 16:30:48 MST Print View

OK! Just got back from town....yes, Cost Plus World Market carries the same ones as Minimus and are even cheaper - $1.49. The snausages are 1 3/4 ounces each. They also carry a nice salami that is 3 ounces for $2.99.

Picked up a bunch and will be doing a blog on them this week....