Another snow trip?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Another snow trip? on 01/10/2011 19:50:37 MST Print View

Any one up for another snow trip?, maybe after Henry Coe. I would still like to make it out to Dewey Point on a clear day. Whata ya guys think?

Edited by jumpbackjack on 01/10/2011 19:51:11 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Another snow trip? on 01/11/2011 16:05:19 MST Print View

I am in! March is a good month to head out!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Another snow trip? on 01/11/2011 16:29:38 MST Print View

By March, there will be a lot more snow to deal with on the trail out to Dewey Point. That's good, because it makes the trail better, and it gives you more building material for a snow cave when you get out there.

--B.G.--

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Snow trip on 01/11/2011 20:49:15 MST Print View

Screw the the cave Bob, I'm building me an Igloo! HA!HA!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: RE Snow trip on 01/11/2011 21:05:23 MST Print View

Jack, if you have a Grand Shelters igloo tool, then an igloo might be the best choice. However, that thing is not simple. For unpredictable (California) snow, a cave or quinzee might be far better.

Several years ago, I had been in contact with Grand Shelters about that tool, and they referred me to a local retailer. Since my buddy and I were heading off to the mountains for a ski camping trip anyway, we stopped off to view this tool. I had about a 50% intention to purchase it. However, once I held it in my hands and thought about it, I decided to pass. It is a certain amount of weight to carry in addition to your shovel.

--B.G.--

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
RE Snow trip on 01/12/2011 21:56:43 MST Print View

Good idea Jack. I am likely in.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE S now trip on 01/12/2011 23:07:25 MST Print View

I'm going to throw this day out there, how about March 19th ( that's a Sat.)weekend?, it should be a full moon, or we could hike in Fri. night with a full moon. I'll keep an eye on the weather and go from there, sound good.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
snow trip. on 01/13/2011 22:37:58 MST Print View

After my last weekend trying out the snowshoes, I'm definitely thinking about snow camping. And what better way than Yosemite?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 00:09:09 MST Print View

So far I have
Ken H.
David W.
David T.
Tony W.
Kat.
Marc E.
Myself

David L where are you?

Edited by jumpbackjack on 01/22/2011 13:19:15 MST.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 07:55:28 MST Print View

I'd like to go.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 09:26:46 MST Print View

No problem Marc, Just to let everyone know, keep me posted if you have to change you're plans so I can keep this thread updated.
@ David W. do you know if there is a limit on how many can go in a group up to Dewey Point?
Thanks Jack

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 10:01:45 MST Print View

Most of Yosemite's backcountry rules apply to summer when the heavy use happens. There is one limit for on-trail groups and another limit for off-trail groups (typically eight). For winter, I have never heard of a limit, because winter is kind of self-limiting. But that might mean that I have never asked.

If you find out that you are over some limit, you simply split your total into two groups, get two permits, travel out there by separate trails, and then coalesce.

I was involved leading a trip out that direction once about thirty years ago. We ran half of the group (the skiers) on one permit, and half of the group (the snowshoers) on the other permit.

Also note that your chances of running into a wilderness ranger out there are very slim once you leave the marked trails. (nudge nudge)

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Snow trip on 01/22/2011 10:26:39 MST Print View

I am in :)

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Snow trip on 01/22/2011 10:43:09 MST Print View

I am in. Deciding whether to ski or snowshoe.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 13:14:37 MST Print View

Thanks Bob, as always, good info.
Kat,Ken I have you both down, as long as the weather holds this should be an great trip.
Who want's to head in on Fri?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 18:11:03 MST Print View

Cannot on Friday and I will on Sat. If a storm is coming in then I will be a no. I just don't like dealing with Sierra storms in the snow

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 18:25:41 MST Print View

"I just don't like dealing with Sierra storms in the snow"

Very few like snow storms. On the other hand, the storms will chase away all those who are faint-of-heart.

The risk is getting up to Badger Pass. Highway 41 is OK, but then you have to turn east on the Glacier Point Road for those 4 or 5 miles to Badger. If you are lucky and there hasn't been any snow for days, then you might be able to slide up there with an R1 restriction on the road. However, if the road gets just a little worse, they will up it to an R3 restriction (snow chains required, all vehicles, no exceptions). Of course, that makes the 4WD Jeep drivers mad.

The reason is that this short section of road is not banked right for winter driving at any speed, so cars (typically descending) slide out of their lane into the opposite lane, and that gets bad results.

The last time that I was parked at Badger, it took me an hour to shovel my car out. Then I had to drive (with chains) down to Highway 41, and then had to go with chains about halfway down to Yosemite Valley before it all turned to rain.

The smart thing to do is to load as many people as you can into a 4WD vehicle (with chains available). That way, the entire team can deal with the vehicle at once.

You have been warned!

--B.G.--

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE S now trip on 01/22/2011 18:39:23 MST Print View

I kinda like the storms Ken. Makes me feel alive!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 18:41:31 MST Print View

Bob, I am of the faint of heart. Summer thunderstorms I a can handle. But if we are having a big storm roll in, I'd rather stay home at experience it in The Santa Cruz Mtns. in my nice big home. Just that way.

As for you comments about getting to Badger. You are soooo correct sir. There is one bend that I think you were refering to that is also quite steep and accidents occur there quite often.

Folks, we could go up Hwy 4 and park at the snow park at the gate. There are some fantastic places to go up there if things are a little dicey in Yosemite

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Snow trip on 01/22/2011 19:53:31 MST Print View

We could always go where me and David went on New Year's weekend if the roads are to bad. They have a few loops that you can do and the driving is easy. David sent me a map, but I don't know if I still have it.