Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Snowed In: Modif-ION'd
Display Avatars Sort By:
Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Snowed In: Cuben Infused Ion. on 01/10/2011 11:31:35 MST Print View

Continuing with the trend of "Snowed-In Progress", I got around to putting back together the green Ion that I ripped apart a while ago.

Unlike the usual mods, I decided to go a different route, since the Ion is great for me in different ways than it is for others.

I added a main body pocket, but decided against the side pockets, since they tend to just encourage me to off-balance my pack, and instead of removing the lid and replacing it with a roll-top, I replaced the Dyneema-X with 1.5oz Cuben, along with the top center back-panel. I like the zippered top since it's just the right height that I can tie up my hair without it interfering and causing neck pain.

I removed the hip belt, it's heavy and useless, and trimmed the shoulder strap webbing.

Original weight was 9.some-odd ounces, new weight without the sternum strap is 7.15oz New cool factor is infinite.
GIon1
GIon2
GIon3
GIon4
GIon5

Edited by jdempsey on 01/10/2011 15:09:19 MST.

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
Nice Ion on 01/10/2011 12:01:46 MST Print View

Nice job Javan! Can't wait to see what you do with mine!

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Snowed In: Modif-ION'd on 01/10/2011 14:48:43 MST Print View

Swanky. I like.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
The on 01/11/2011 00:22:48 MST Print View

hiking world is turning white. Nice.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: The on 01/11/2011 16:27:05 MST Print View

White and the blue Cuben are my favorite colors personally. Can't mistake that stuff on the trail that's for sure. ;)

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Very nice! on 01/11/2011 16:57:34 MST Print View

Very nice and very original!

I had thought about doing the back panel in cuben if I ever mod mine.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Re: Very nice! on 01/11/2011 17:01:19 MST Print View

Larry, at that point you'd almost be better off just making a full cuben one.

Other than the panels I replaced, the entire rest of the body is one, large, funky shaped piece.

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Snowed In: Modif-ION'd on 01/11/2011 17:05:01 MST Print View

Nice work it looks great!

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Full cuben on 01/11/2011 17:23:55 MST Print View

I was only thinking that to cut some weight and still have the durability of dyneema on the sides and back for random brush and thorny things. I never got to the point of figuring out if it's feasible because I can't bring myself to hack it up.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
ion on 01/11/2011 19:22:32 MST Print View

nice work! :)

I found I needed to add side pockets to mine, I'm tight on space as it is for a 2-3 day trip- does look nice & clean w/o them though

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
re: Modif-ION on 01/11/2011 20:27:21 MST Print View

I've always thought of making a pack with dyneema on the sides and cuben in the middle like that. Looks great and I really do love the white cuben for some reason. I used the think it was uglier than sin, but its really grown on me and looks even better as an accent like that.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

thanks! on 01/11/2011 21:29:20 MST Print View

Thanks guys, I wanted to drop some weight but basically keep the form the same.

I am going to add some LL3's just below the pocket on each side with some cord running under the bottom to strap a pad or extra bag to.

I thought about adding some webbing harnesses to the sides for removable side compartments, but I dunno, I don't think I need the space for most trips, and if I do, I'll likely take my Ohm (stay tuned for a cuben-remix of my ragged out old Ohm next time I get snowed in), or GoatPack.

I've found I'm pretty good for 3-5days with an un-modded Ion for the summer if I'm willing to compress my quilt a little.