Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What camera should I buy?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
What camera should I buy? on 01/07/2011 22:00:55 MST Print View

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm looking for small,thin camera that takes great pic's, like I see in some of the threads here on BPL. I don't want to spend a fortune in case it gets lost or droped/broken, some where in the range of $150.00-$200.00 Help me out here people. Thanks Jack

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: What camera should I buy? on 01/07/2011 22:21:47 MST Print View

These two probably aren't what you're looking for, but they were just introduced and I find them enticing.

Canon A1200
The A series cameras typically take nice pictures. This uses AA batteries and has an optical viewfinder. With lithium batteries, you should be able to get the camera right at around 6 ounces and I bet it would take over 500 pictures if you turned off the screen and used the optical viewfinder. I wouldn't be surprised if you could take nearly 1000 pictures since I've done 700+ on the 720is using less powerful Eneloop batteries.

Price will probably be about $100 at Newegg

Fujifilm XP30
This exceeds your budget by $40.

The advantage is that it's ruggedized, so dropping it is less of a concern. It has gps, which may possibly replace a standalone gps...so possible weight savings there. The weight is already under 6 ounces with the battery.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: What camera should I buy? on 01/07/2011 23:13:07 MST Print View

Jack,

I am a big fan of the Canon Digital Elph Powershot series.

Prior to 2010, my photos have been shot with the S230 3.2 Mega Pixel Camera.

When that broke, I picked up the SD880IS with wide angle lens and I could not be happier.

The SD940IS seems to be the newest version of my camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD940IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B002LITT6U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294466882&sr=1-1

$190.00 at Amazon.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd940_is

Canon website information on this model.

Since I have only owned 2 digital cameras, can not say that I am an expert, but they have served me long and well.

That said, please note that the photo essays that I have posted...the photos have been cleaned up using Photoshop Elements version 7.0, using the auto idiot features.

Just my two cents.

-Tony

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Cmaera on 01/07/2011 23:20:16 MST Print View

Thanks guys I'll check them out, I also forgot to mention that I would like it to be able to take at least 500 pics without changing batteries or recharging. I did look at some cannons and I'm kind of steering in that direction, I was just looking for some more feed back from other camera users with more expereince likr you guys. Thanks Jack

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: RE Cmaera on 01/08/2011 01:28:40 MST Print View

The number of compact cameras I've found that use proprietary lithium batteries in your price range that can shoot 500 shots on a single charge is zero. It's possible with cameras that use lithium AA batteries though...and occasionally quality rechargeable nimh batteries like the Eneloop.

Here's a list of cameras and their battery lives that I posted in another thread.
Camera battery life comparison - AA vs proprietary

Edited by leaftye on 01/08/2011 01:34:20 MST.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: What camera should I buy? on 01/08/2011 06:57:17 MST Print View

I just got the Lumix ZS5. Great zoom, HD video, some manual functions. About $200.

My friend just got the Canon S90. Great manual functions, f2.0 (for low light), zoom not as good as ZS5. Probably over $200.

Brian Turner
(Phreak) - F
camera on 01/08/2011 15:39:49 MST Print View

I currently use a Canon SD1400.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Camera on 03/03/2011 22:19:59 MST Print View

I think I've narrowed it down to the cannon sd1300, or the panasonic zs6, which of these 2 do you guys like?

Levon Jensen
(LevonJensen) - MLife

Locale: Canadian Rockies
waterproof on 03/03/2011 23:00:04 MST Print View

Under 200, i have the 6000 its awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B0031RGETU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299218188&sr=8-4

waterproof/shock resistant cameras are the best thing ever not having to worry about getting snow in around/ on your camera is awesome in the winter. and throwing it in your pants pocket in the summer crossing streams/ swimming is way to good.

The canon sd1300 is a decent cheap camera, i got the older model for my brother takes nice pictures.

You really cant go wrong with most cheap point and shoots nowadays, they are all about the same.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Camera on 03/09/2011 22:54:13 MST Print View

I finally took the plunge and bought a Canon sd1400, battery is charging as we type. I will get to use it next weekend on a snow trip we have planned up to Dewey Point in Yosemite, thanks for all the advice.

Edited by jumpbackjack on 03/09/2011 22:55:01 MST.