November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Weighing Gear
Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Perkins

Locale: North East
Weighing Gear on 09/17/2006 08:19:42 MDT Print View

What do you guys use to weigh your gear? Kitchen scales such as:

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Weighting Gear on 09/17/2006 08:35:34 MDT Print View

This is what I use. It is an Ohaus Triple Beam Scale and comes with extra weights. You can buy them used sort of cheap if you look hard enough. They will measure to a tenth of a gram.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Weighing Gear on 09/17/2006 09:15:49 MDT Print View

I bought mine on Ebay... there are always tons of them on sale.

Some scales only go to 5 lbs. I prefer the ones that go up to 30 lbs -- in 1/10th of an ounce increments. Anything above 30 lbs, (say the entire backpack plus contents), I weigh it using my digital bathroom scale.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Weighing Gear on 09/17/2006 11:52:21 MDT Print View

I use a pelouze postal scale from my local Staples store. Cheap... digital... an accurate to the gram. For weighing my full pack... I use my digital bathroom scale... but a better option would be a digital fish scale (with a hook).

Edited by davidlewis on 09/17/2006 11:52:52 MDT.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Weighing Gear on 09/17/2006 18:35:13 MDT Print View

I use the Pelouze SP5, which I believe is the same one David mentions above. Up to 5lbs in tenths of ounces, and in grams. Definitely shop around, E-Bay is a good suggestion.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Peolouze General Purpose Digital on 09/18/2006 14:28:28 MDT Print View

Pelouze, 5# capacity in 0.1oz or 1gram

It has about a 6" diameter plate. For uncooperative items, I weight a small cardboard box, set the tare weight to zero, add my item and it displays only the item's weight (without the box). For $34 bucks from Staples Office Supply, I been very happy. (Has auto shutoff to save batteries).