Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Help: Mesh Repair
Display Avatars Sort By:
Drew Davis
(drewnc2005) - F

Locale: Hillsborough, NC
Help: Mesh Repair on 09/16/2006 11:27:57 MDT Print View

What is the best way to fix a tear in the mesh like this:Mesh Tear

I am going to sew the "clip" for the tent pole back into its normal position but just wonder what is the best way to repair the rip on either side of the seam. It's a minor thing, but I just want to fix it right so I can sell it.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Help: Mesh Repair on 09/16/2006 16:17:53 MDT Print View

> I am going to sew the "clip" for the tent pole back into its normal position but just wonder what is the best way to repair the rip on either side of the seam. It's a minor thing, but I just want to fix it right so I can sell it.

I assume the clip should have been sewn to the fly fabric? I am curious as to why it wasn't. If I am right, this is a manufacturing defect and you should send it back for the manufacturers to fix it, for free!

You Can NOT repair the netting so that it can take the load of the clip. So assume the netting won't have to.

This means that you could sew up the rip inn the netting with a needle and thread, plus a few spots of silicone sealant at the ends for extra strength maybe.

Cheers

Drew Davis
(drewnc2005) - F

Locale: Hillsborough, NC
Re: Re: Help: Mesh Repair on 09/17/2006 17:42:59 MDT Print View

Yes - I will sew the clip back into the seam which is the fly fabric you're refering to. I was not planning on repairing the mesh in order to take the load off of the clip. Repairing the clip would be part of the job.

Any other ideas?

As for sending it back to the manufacturer, I am not sure if Big Agnes will repair something bought from an REI Garage Sale. There was hardly any dirt or signs of use and couldn't pass it up. I should've inspected it a little more diligently. This is the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2. Nice tent, easy repair, hopefully easy sale.