Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
He is going to take a week off. on 03/04/2011 19:01:03 MST Print View

He needs to heal his hip.

kyle davis
(fta) - F

Locale: mn, co
Headed home on 03/05/2011 22:06:27 MST Print View

He's off the trail as of today until his hip is healed. He might as well give it up. He just hasn't been putting in enough miles to be able to do this "trek" in under two years. I know it's easy for me to say from home but this just didn't look good from the start for some reason I continued to follow it? Time to stop all it does is make me wonder what he thinks he is doing.

Ed Schmidt
(suttree) - F

Locale: ON, CANADA
Time Off Trail on 03/05/2011 23:22:12 MST Print View

ET
I hope Sam returns to his hike - not because I believe he will finish all four trails - but because I think the experience of perservering through difficult times is one of the greatest rewards of long-distance hiking. It's hard enough being sidelined for a few days on a long hike, I can't imagine how difficult it will be for Sam to return after indefinite rest and recovery at home. Maybe take down the website and just enjoy himself?

Edited by suttree on 03/05/2011 23:22:55 MST.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

"The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?" No. on 03/06/2011 04:46:17 MST Print View

Yeah, he tried and failed. I won't get long winded and try to second guess his mistakes. These were already pointed out. But, after two months of slugging it out with the winters in NY and pushing through the snows we get, I don't blame him. With the most minor injury things get down right annoying. With the tendonitis in a walking joint carrying extra weight and snowshoeing? I would quit, too! He says two months to heal. It will take him 1-2 mos to get back in shape to do it again. He will loose a third of a year before he gets back, if he so decides. I think he will be driven to try again. He DID defeat the worst of the winter weather with the help of trail angels. He would have given up a long time ago without their help. Yup, one chapter is closed.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: "The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?" No. on 03/06/2011 05:02:56 MST Print View

He has two wounds, his hip and his pride both will take time to heal. I for one hopes you doesn't abandon the original dream. It would be great if he healed, really trained, modified his plan and gave the original goal a try. I know there has been debate if the "All-In" Trek in a year is possible, I think it would be cool to have a serious attempt to see if it could be done. And with a little less fanfare. Hope his hip heals and he does something cool with what he learned.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Re: Re: "The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?" No. on 03/06/2011 05:38:46 MST Print View

Greg, you called it. Yes, two wounds. I too hope he has learned enough, and, be stubborn enough to keep on hikin'.

Craig Kowalski
(KillerKowalski) - F
So... on 03/13/2011 15:34:00 MDT Print View

With 12,499 miles left in his trek and from the horse's mouth, "...call this a failed attempt... If anyone knows of an available job prosect- please shoot me an email at samuel@theinitiativesite.com."

C'mon someone has to have a lead for him.

I just have a bad taste for all the hype made by Sam and where he is at now.

Edited by KillerKowalski on 03/13/2011 15:36:34 MDT.

Erik Danielsen
(er1kksen) - F

Locale: The Western Door
Re: So... on 03/13/2011 17:40:09 MDT Print View

He can have my old job at the peanut butter factory if he likes. As for me, I quit and now live out of my backpack, not dissimilar to what Sam was up to, but I decided to be smart and go somewhere warm. *wink wink*

And yesterday I picked up a nice little old ten-speed, so now I can distribute my home between the backpack and the bike rack. It's the life, I tell ya.

Len B
(4eyedbuzzard) - F
So, now that it is over on 03/14/2011 10:35:28 MDT Print View

I wasn't trying to "create controversy". I certainly didn't need to. Sam intentionally created all the controversy with his promotional campaign in order to draw attention to himself, one goal he certainly succeeded at. I realize my opinions were unpopular, but they are what I believed to be the truth. I wasn't trying to be popular, and obviously I succeeded at that ;-). But I am somewhat amused that he has stated in his last journal post that, "Alright here is the new plan . . . I am going to call this a failed attempt and move on . . . second attempt next January 1, 2012. Same start location, same plan."

Same plan? You all are experienced hikers. You all know this plan is not viable. "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results", isn't the definition of initiative - it's the definition of insanity (thanks Al).

I also hope he keeps hiking, but with a lot less self-promotional hype and fanfare and a more realistic plan and time frame.

/the end

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
the end. on 03/14/2011 14:13:47 MDT Print View

your work here is done, len.

have fun back at FlameBlaze.

Erik Danielsen
(er1kksen) - F

Locale: The Western Door
Re: So, now that it is over on 03/14/2011 14:23:05 MDT Print View

Eh, with some serious gear revisions (as in: dop the packweight as low as possible) and some real pre-attempt training I don't see why it's not a possibility. Very much a challenge, yes, but hopefully he has a better idea of the scope of that challenge by now.

Starting the attempt this coming January, though... I don't know about that. First of all, he'll need a few months to fully heal this hip problem, and then he'll need at least several more months to get into serious condition for the trip, and there's always the unpredictable factor of training injuries. On top of that, I really do think he'd be better off considering switching up the trip timing, maybe jumping from section to section of the various trails in order to spend less time in deep snow. Trying for all four trails in 365 days is crazy enough as it is; hiking a large portion of them in the most challenging conditions the year offers doesn't make much sense to me when trying to be the "first" to achieve a feat. Once it's been established that it can be done, then it makes sense to up the ante with things like intentional bad-weather timing.