Every year I take a group of friends from work on a backpacking trip somewhere in the US. Some are avid hikers, but for others this is the only backpacking trip of the year. Need some suggestions for this year.
- Havasu falls
- Mt Whitney
- Yosemite(Half Dome, Cloud Rest, etc)
- Thousand island lake
- Smoky Mountains
One of the team members we added a few years ago has trouble with higher elevations, so we try to stay below 9k and sleep below 7k. This limits our options somewhat, so some of the classics are off the list.
- May 2011. 4 days, 3 nights
- Mileage. Avg around 8 miles a day from campsite to campsite. Some like more miles and we just explore from base camp and let the others just hang around camp.
- No snow or need from extra gear
- Bears are fine, but would like to stay away from grizzly country.
- Off trail and heavy navigation is fine.
- Solitude/less crowded is better
- Group size 5-8
- Prefer mountain/west region
Some things were are batting around:
- Northern CA. Maybe around the coast
- Idaho. Hells canyon, etc
- South Dakota. Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Centennial trail,
- New Mexico
- South/South Central Wyoming
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.