Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
Energy Bar recipes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
Energy Bar recipes on 12/31/2010 14:08:07 MST Print View

I've been searching for some energy bar recipes. I'm looking for high calorie, long trip feasibility. I'd like to have them last at least a week. Good taste is a plus! :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Energy Bar recipes on 12/31/2010 14:46:00 MST Print View

Logan Bread
Recipe:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup dried fruit bits
1/4 lb brown sugar
1-1/2 ounce dried milk powder
1/4 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup vegetable oil such as canola
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
-------------------------------
Mix everything together in a large bowl. The first time you try this, you will have a hard time getting it to mix on only a 1/2 cup of water, so you may have to add slightly more. However, mixing it wetter will lead to possible spoilage.
Preheat a 300 degree F oven. Note that this is not as hot as most baking recipes.
Turn the mixture into two greased 8x8-inch cake pans and spread it as evenly as possible. Bake for one hour. Remove from the oven, let cool for five minutes, and then invert the pans to remove the bread. Cut each bread loaf into 16 squares. The proper consistency is not rock-hard, and it is a little chewey.
Stack and air dry the squares for 24 hours. This gets rid of much of the excess moisture that might lead to spoilage. Store the squares in plastic sandwich bags and squeeze out as much of the air as possible. I normally get six squares into each sandwich bag, so the whole batch will require five or six bags, minus however much you ate during the cutting.
If you make this relatively dry, it will keep for months. It is best when eaten within a month or two. Refrigeration is unneccessary.
Most of my variations are with the dried fruit. I can do this just with raisins, but it is fun to try to do it with five or more types of dried fruit like apricot bits, cranberry bits, blueberries, etc. Try not to use dry fruit bits much larger than raisins, and make sure that the fruit is dry before it ever goes into the mix. Fresh fruit is not acceptable. This has no egg, yeast, or whole milk, so there isn't too much to spoil. If mold does grow on the bread, that is your sign that you used too much water in the mix.

I've done some trips where Logan Bread was 40% of the total food.
--B.G.--

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Logan bread on 12/31/2010 14:57:20 MST Print View

Bob, I just found this on an advanced search, and was really excited. Ive wanted to make some Logan bread for a while. what about weight wise and calorie count... What about portion size? If I use my standard 1.2-1.5 lb per day food allotment, will I have any issues? Have you made any for any recent trips? Could I put this into the seal a meal and vacuum pack this without turning it into a pile of mush?

Edited by idahosteve on 12/31/2010 14:58:32 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
cookies on 12/31/2010 15:01:54 MST Print View

I've been making these the last few trips. They're cookies - but they resemble energy bars. I'll eat them over a week without degradation.

8 ounces peanut butter
3/4 stick (3 ounces) butter
1 1/4 cup (9 3/8 ounces) dark brown sugar
3 Tbs (2 ounces) dark corn syrup or molasses
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs Vanilla
1 egg
1 1/3 cup (4 5/8 ounces) old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) whole wheat flour
6 ounces raisins
6 ounces chocolate chips
4 ounces chopped nuts (peanut, pecan, or walnut, or...)

Turn oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 cookie sheets.

Cream the butter, sugar, corn syrup, baking soda, baking powder, salt, spices, and vanilla. Add the vinegar and mix. Add the egg and mix. Add the oats and flour and mix. It gets hard to mix so I just use my hands. Add the raisins and nuts and mix.

Divide the mix into about quarters in the bowl, and use 1/4 for each batch. Form 12 cookies on the cookie sheet. You have to smash it flat with a fork, and squish it into a circular shape. Put about 6 chocolate chips on the top of each cookie. Bake for 13 minutes.

Pull the first sheet out and let it cool 10 minutes. Smash the chocolate chips down a little or else they tend to fall off. Use spatula to put cookies on rack to cool.

Repeat for other 3 batches.

After they cool a few hours, put in gallon zip top bag.

The first time you bake these, you might want to bake one cookie, let it cool, eat it and see if the bake time is correct for your oven, and adjust if necesary. I make them pretty crisp so that they don't stick together like regular cookies. After a day or two they soften up a little so they're not too crisp.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
“BRICK” 2010 Model on 12/31/2010 15:10:23 MST Print View

“BRICK” 2010 Model
Makes 12 bar
402cal/bar

Call them a chewy granola bar or an energy bar, either way, these are good! They freeze well also (wrap them up two bars to a bag for an easy trail snack out of the freezer.) Trust me, you will LOVE these bars. Yes, they are high in fat, but if you are hiking hard, you will burn it off and they are better for you than a candy bar!

2 cups quick-cooking oats 1 cup all-purpose flour ¾ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup dried cranberries (or whatever fruit you prefer!)
½ cup wheat germ
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup chopped pecans (or other nut of choice, unsalted)
½ cup cranberries
½ cup blueberries
½ cup coconut
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup honey
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, craisins, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and pecans.
4. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed
5. I use rubber gloves for this.
6. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan. Make sure it is packed in tightly.
7. Bake 25-30 minutes in the oven or until the edges are golden.
8. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.

Notes:
• These bars take well to using applesauce or baby prunes as part of the oil.
• Brown sugar Splenda® works well as a way to cut back on the sugar content for diabetics.
• Any nut can be used, and feel free to change the fruit or add chocolate chips, etc to the batter!
• These bars have been made by a number of hikers on hiking forums, and the consensus is they are fang good!-no matter how you change the recipe!

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Bar

Calories 402.4

Total Fat 16.7 g
Saturated Fat 2.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 9.8 g

Cholesterol 86.1 mg
Sodium 614.4 mg
Potassium 261.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
Sugars 35.7 g
Protein 9.7 g

Edited by KENLARSON on 12/31/2010 17:52:31 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Logan bread on 12/31/2010 15:46:01 MST Print View

"Bob, I just found this on an advanced search, and was really excited. Ive wanted to make some Logan bread for a while. what about weight wise and calorie count... What about portion size? If I use my standard 1.2-1.5 lb per day food allotment, will I have any issues? Have you made any for any recent trips? Could I put this into the seal a meal and vacuum pack this without turning it into a pile of mush?"

Well, it is mostly carbohydrate, so the calorie count of one ounce will be about the same as an ounce of other carbohydrates (not super high).

I'm not exactly sure what your question is about portions. I don't think that you want to plan on this being your only food for a day. You will get bored with it. Instead, I use one or two squares for breakfast, or one square for a snack. The last batch I baked was last June, and I carried twelve squares to Alaska to be my breakfast for the first six days there.

I thought you were trying to get something to keep for a week. I routinely eat this stuff when it is two or three months old... as long as it was sealed air tight in plastic. You can vacuum pack it, so then you can keep it for twice as long. I always found the Ziploc bag to be handy since it is resealable. You could also refrigerate it or even freeze it. However, I've never tried to eat any that was more than six months old.

I'll warn you. The first batch that you bake will be a learning experience. By the second batch, you will know more about what it needs, like more nuts or less fruit.

--B.G.--

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Energy Bar Recipe(Bob Gross) - Logan Bread on 12/31/2010 15:53:32 MST Print View

Nutrition Facts Logan Bread
32 Bars/Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 77.8
Total Fat 2.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 0.1 mg
Sodium 69.2 mg
Potassium 62.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 8.8 g
Protein 1.4 g

Edited by KENLARSON on 12/31/2010 18:58:39 MST.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Re: Re: Logan bread on 12/31/2010 16:08:50 MST Print View

Bob, yes, trying to figure out "how" you ate them eg "couple of squares for breakfast etc"... thanks for the help. Wanted to vacuum pack some for possible re-supply. Working out the details for an SHR trip this coming season.

Looking forward to trying out a few of these recipes. They all sound terrific.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Alpine Trail Bars on 12/31/2010 17:35:21 MST Print View

Alpine Trail Bars are a NOLS Recipe and high in energy.
12 Servings

1 cup unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups uncooked rolled oats
¾ cup chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted cashew pieces

With a hand or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars, then blend in eggs and vanilla, then flour and baking soda.
With a spoon or spatula, stir in oats, chocolate and nuts.
Spread in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan, bake 25-30 minutes at 375F, let cool and cut into bars.

Nutritional Info:
Calories: 400
Fat:25 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Sodium: 125 mg
Potassium: 125
Fiber: 2 grams

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Nutrition Facts Logan Bread on 12/31/2010 17:44:57 MST Print View

Ken, your nutrition facts for Logan Bread seem to be calculated for 16 servings, yet it doesn't say what the serving size is. The recipe makes 32 squares, so maybe the facts need to show per-square.

--B.G.--

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Energy Bar Recipe(Bob Gross) - Logan Bread on 12/31/2010 19:06:35 MST Print View

Bob...I calculated the recipe for 32 servings/bars and corrected my posting above. As for serving size, they are 32 equal cut pieces from the two pans (16 servings/pan. The original Nutrition Facts for the Logan Bread I have no idea how I came up with those numbers....sr. moment.

I personally prefer the “BRICK” 2010 Model as do my friends and grandchildren ….a whole meal in one!

Ken

Edited by KENLARSON on 12/31/2010 19:10:48 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Energy Bar recipes on 12/31/2010 20:12:25 MST Print View

I do eat oats, but I get tired of recipes that all have oats in them. Sarah has some good recipes without oats.

--B.G.--

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Energy Bar recipes on 12/31/2010 21:49:14 MST Print View

Hudson's Bay Bread:
http://www.holry.org/essays/baybread.html

Jay Bonzani
(UltraBound) - F

Locale: NE Oregon
BRICK!!! on 01/08/2011 12:51:08 MST Print View

I made some of these last night and they are great. I added a little whey protein to up the protein levels. I think I am going to whip up a double batch and keep some in the freezer. Thanks for a great snack. Was really getting tired of spending so much on the store bought bars.

Royal Magnell
(BlueMan) - F

Locale: Northern CA
How long? on 07/16/2011 13:41:17 MDT Print View

How long will the BRICK last in sierra summer temps in a ziplock or something? A week? They sound wonderful.

Royal

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
Re: Re: Energy Bar recipes on 02/24/2012 10:58:03 MST Print View

Thanks for this recipe, Bob. I just did a variation, cleaning the cupboards, rather than as a purposeful choice. It seems to have worked out ok with:

8.5 oz bread flour
4.0 oz Trader Joe's Golden Berry Blend
4.0 oz demerara sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flax, almond, chia, multi-grain mix
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup water

Update: When I say "flax, almond, chia, multi-grain mix" I really just mean flax meal with a few minor additions. Use flax meal, or flax meal with a little almond meal and/or chia seeds, etc.

The "oz" measurements are by weight

I use 2 nine-inch round (cake) pans, and cut 8 wedges each.

Edited by JohnJ on 04/28/2012 08:21:35 MDT.