I have to ski patrol tomorrow in temps in the low teens to single digits.
That means 10 minute chair lift rides and standing for long periods policing boardheads as they depart the chair.
So my clothes are as follows:
1. Polyester polarweight long johns
2. 2 pr. polypro liner sox, 1 pr med. wt. wool/acrylic sox
3. heavy wool fisherman's knit sweater
4. Thinsulate insulated GTX ski bibs
5. 300 wt. Polartec jacket
6. GTX patrol parka
7. Ski helmet (foam insulated) & goggles
8. GTX gauntlet gloves W/ removable heavy pile liners & spare liners
9. neoprene face mask (if necessary)
10. Turtle Fur neck/face collar
11. Nordica alpine ski boots
energy bars, candy bars, pastries, sandwiches, etc., water, lip balm, sunscreen (we're at 9,000 ft. avg. altitude)
Getting ready for 7 1/2 hours of patrolling involves knowing what to wear for a comfortable day. Experience is a hard teacher.