Forum Index » GEAR » Packs: Which one?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
MLD on 12/30/2010 08:18:51 MST Print View

This is of course subjective, but I think the quality of design/construction and magical fit of the MLD line of packs make them superior.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
I have similar kit on 12/30/2010 08:28:58 MST Print View

I have a SMD Trailstar for winter or when I think I may need to haul a lot of food and/or water, otherwise I find the ULA Conduit(now called the CDT) perfect.
I can carry three days worth of food and 2 liters of water and still have room to squash more stuff in if I had to.

It didn't take me long to adjust to the Conduit.

Some people like the pockets on your pack, but I agree that they waste space and add weight.

I do like the mesh pocket on the ULA and other packs, really useful for drying wet gear and for easy access items.

Mitchell Murphy
(Texico) - F

Locale: North Georgia
GG Gorilla on 12/30/2010 10:13:06 MST Print View

I bought a Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack last month and have so far been extremely impressed by it. The pack fits my back perfectly with the curved aluminum stay, and combined with the hip belt they transfer the load to the hips well. I've only used it for day hikes so far, but after ten miles the pack is still super comfortable. My average pack weight is 18lbs.

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
Packs: Which one on 12/30/2010 13:40:04 MST Print View

Chad, I'll let you know in the next week if I plan on selling the pack.

I should clarify my statement about the "barrel shape" of the Mariposa/Gorilla. This was isolated to packing it with a bear canister. I was referring to a post by Greg Mihalik
which is HERE

The Gorilla is a little smaller so I would think it would be problem, at least with the weekender. Not trying to bag the GG packs, just sharing my though process behind my purchase.

Ryan