Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First bivy. Where to start?
Display Avatars Sort By:
William Bump
(WillBump) - F
First bivy. Where to start? on 12/26/2010 16:04:18 MST Print View

I'm considering a bivy as my second MYOG sewing project. Any ideas on where to start/materials/designs etc.?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: First bivy. Where to start? on 12/26/2010 16:07:08 MST Print View

Check out Six Moon Designs - He offers a free pattern for the Meteor bivy.

As for materials: Sil or Cuben on the bottom, Momentum (from Thru-hiker) or 1.1 ripstop for the top, and noseeum if needed for bug protection.

Todd

William Bump
(WillBump) - F
Also... on 12/26/2010 16:20:38 MST Print View

Thanks! Also, any thoughts on ammount of fabrics?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: First bivy. Where to start? on 12/26/2010 16:24:27 MST Print View

How tall are you? What do you weigh? What quilt/bag will you use inside? Do you want to store items inside w/you?

William Bump
(WillBump) - F
i on 12/26/2010 16:49:50 MST Print View

6' 160. Nothing inside and I think after this I'll try my hand at a quilt. I wouldn't mind some extra fabric but M50 is a bit pricey so if I decide to go that route I'de like to be close to what I'll use.

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
I've considered Tyvek on 12/27/2010 15:00:41 MST Print View

The 1443R is comparable in weight to the silnylon. This is assuming you are trying to make a light weight rain spray or condensation control bivy. The Tyvek is breathable and pretty tough and light. You could conceivably make one without sewing by bonding the Tyvek with tape and/or glue.

I'm thinking of kludging one together as a simple condensation control/layer to keep my down bag dry in tarp conditions. It is also cheap at like $3.50/yd so it is an inexpensive experiment.