Forum Index » GEAR » Inner net tent for TrailStar

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Trailstar & PentaNet 2 photos on 06/17/2011 23:05:42 MDT Print View

These are posted in another thread as well but I wanted to add them to this discussion too since a few folks were interested.

PN1

PN2

PN3

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Re: Trailstar & PentaNet 2 photos on 06/18/2011 07:18:28 MDT Print View

Thanks for the pictures. This inner net is on my short list of things to purchase for backpacking over the next year. Gotta make the wife happy.

noel thorpe
(geccoman) - F

Locale: NCW the dry part
Thank You for the Clarity! on 06/18/2011 07:52:40 MDT Print View

Thank You for the pics of the Penta in action,really helped me get a better perspective of the usable space and how it fits under the Trailstar. Ive been on the fence between ordering the penta or the pyra2 for months.I didnt want to eat the extra weight for extra elbow room but the potential of making a usable 3 person shelter by suspending the Trailstar is very appealing in my situation

Liam Thompson
(liam-t)

Locale: Sydney
Re: Trailstar & PentaNet 2 photos on 01/17/2013 12:57:03 MST Print View

Hey Nick,

Thanks for all your photos of your trailstar net set up. I was wondering if you had any images of the BP innernet packed inside its stuff sack.

How has it worked out for you? Is there any modifications that you would recommend after using it a few times.

I'm still not sure whether to get the pentanet 2 or the pyranet 2. Any suggestions? Have you ever had any issues with rain/condensation getting in the pentanet?

I just ordered the trailstar but am trying to figure out bug net options.

Cheers,

Liam.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Inner Net Tent for Trailstar on 01/17/2013 13:39:24 MST Print View

Hi Liam,

I don't have any photos of the net tent packed away in its stuff sack but as I recall, it doesn't pack down quite as small as the Trailstar itself.

As far as modifications go, the only thing I've changed or done to my Pentanet was added mitten hooks to the guylines so that I could then attach the pentanet guylines to the (staked) Trailstar guylines instead of using separate stakes for the pentanet. This is nice for saving some weight but makes adjusting/tightening the guys on the pentanet a little more tricky.

When I originally ordered the pentanet, I discussed the idea with John at BPWD of adding hooks or loops to the ridge seams, halfway up the sides of the innernet shelter so that I could attach these hooks to the underside ridgeline hooks on the Trailstar (to open up more interior headroom sapce inside the net tent). I didn't end up doing it because they would be difficult to (un)attach when everything is set up, but I still think about it sometimes because you do lose some usable interior space inside the Pentanet from the walls sagging in if you don't pitch the innernet shelter high and tight enough (during a lower storm pitch, for example).

I've haven't experienced any problems with condensation inside the net tent. There's a pretty good amount of space inbetween the TS and the net tent for the most part. Plus the Trailstar pitched up off the ground a little bit allows for pretty good air circulation.

As far as choosing between the designs, I think it comes down to what you're looking for. For my purposes, I needed to maximize interior enclosed space to have all the room I can get to fit myself, my girlfriend and our dog (it's the girlfriend's requirement to have an enclosed space in the first place, when I go without her I leave the innernet at home). If you don't need to max out enclosed area and retaining some vestibule space under the Trailstar but outside the net tent (for cooking, for example) is more important, then perhaps the pyranet design is better for you.

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
Re: Inner Net Tent for Trailstar on 01/17/2013 15:14:48 MST Print View

Like Nico, I only take the inner when my wife comes backpacking. We like it enough that the Pentanet from Bearpaw is coming with us on the JMT this year.

Liam Thompson
(liam-t)

Locale: Sydney
Thanks! on 01/18/2013 08:45:14 MST Print View

Thanks for the quick reply I really appreciate it. It’s funny I am looking into these duo bug net options so that my girlfriend will still come camping with me under the trailstar. We are moving back to Australia soon and I think the idea of a barrier toward snakes and spiders helps minimize her fear of camping under a quasi-tarp system in the bush.

I will um and ahh about it but the interior space of the pentatent looks great. Thanks again for the advice. Hope to be doing the JMT in a year and half. Let me know how the trailstar holds up during your trip.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
2ookworks on 01/18/2013 09:14:38 MST Print View

Might want to check out the 2ookworks inner for the Trailstar. Very cool design although expensive. I used it with my TS before moving away from tarps and back to tents. Quality is top notch.

Maciej Parvi
(MaciekP)
Trailstar 2Oookstar from Duomid Pyranet 2? on 03/06/2013 05:55:36 MST Print View

Anyone moved from Duomid+Pyranet2 to Trailstar+2Oookstar for a trips with woman?
I'm 6'2", she is smaller by 4 inches.
Duomid was rather fine, but we wanted a bit more space to have backpacks inside.
Is a floor space increase a good trade off for height decrease? :-)