Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV on 12/23/2010 06:45:24 MST Print View

Hi folks,

On a previous thread I was asking folk for down parka recomendations and the Peak XV
was poined out to me.

As I based in Europe I don't have the option to try one on in a local store so I was wondering do any folk on here have any experiences with it.

Thanks,

Stephen

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV on 12/23/2010 07:37:46 MST Print View

I bought one for the wife to replace her old parka that had worn out. She likes it, and it keeps her quite warm. Overall, I've been very happy with the First Ascent gear I've gotten.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

inside pockets on 12/23/2010 07:41:56 MST Print View

Hi,

Are the inside pockets big enough for a 1 litre water bottle.

Thanks,

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: inside pockets on 12/23/2010 10:26:59 MST Print View

[sigh] Sorry, false alarm. I just checked the parka, and it's the Mountain Guide Hooded Down Parka, not the Peak XV.

Bobby Pack
(Piddler) - MLife

Locale: West Virginia
small single pocket on 12/23/2010 11:35:26 MST Print View

There is only a single pocket on the inside of my Peak XV and it's too small for a water bottle.

Val C
(GooseBumps) - F
H2O bottle pocket on 12/23/2010 12:59:35 MST Print View

The person at Whittaker Mountaineering said the inner pocket WILL hold a 32 oz water bottle but probably NOT fit a bottle w/insulator. More info -- info@whittakermountaineering.com

Let it snow!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks on 12/23/2010 13:51:06 MST Print View

Thanks Guys :-)

Thats a shame it doesnt have big inside pockets.

:-)

Val C
(GooseBumps) - F
Peak XV inner pocket on 12/23/2010 14:25:45 MST Print View

The one on the website DOES have a bottle pocket and will hold a 32 oz nalgene.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Thanks on 12/23/2010 14:34:10 MST Print View

If it helps, I can probably swing by the local EB store next week and check out the parka.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Peak XV on 12/23/2010 15:07:36 MST Print View

There are 2 generations of the Peak XV. I have the first generation, which is slightly lighter, but only has 1 internal zippered pocket which will def. not fit a 32 oz bottle. The newer generation peak xv, which is being sold in stores right now, MAY have a water bottle pocket (i haven't checked myself, but based on what other peeps are saying, I bet it does) and is a bit heavier because it has added reinforcement panels to high abrasion areas.

I remember distinctively missing my water bottle pocket when I picked up my first generation peak xv

Edited by Konrad1013 on 12/23/2010 15:08:37 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks on 12/24/2010 05:38:32 MST Print View

Hi Don,

Thanks for the offer of checking that out, I will drop Bauers customer service an email after the holidays.

Hi folks,

Thanks all for the replies.

Cheers,

Stepehn

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Thanks on 12/24/2010 06:29:49 MST Print View

FWIW, many items on First Ascent's website are sold out, or at least sold out in most sizes. This includes the two warmest down parkas.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks on 12/24/2010 10:15:02 MST Print View

Thanks Don, they must be popular :-)

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
theyre selling fast on 12/24/2010 10:45:37 MST Print View

EB FA ... all the womens rain jackets are gone at my nearest store ... having them go for 87$ or so plus an addtional 30% off prob helps

down jackets are still around ... prob more a reflection of the warmer temps in vancouver where you dont need a big down puffy

i had to resist real hard the frontpoint shells which were $100 off + take an additional 30%

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: theyre selling fast on 12/24/2010 15:22:07 MST Print View

"i had to resist real hard the frontpoint shells which were $100 off + take an additional 30%"

Don't resist, it's a great jacket. :-)

It's become my favorite winter shell.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Too much on 12/24/2010 18:37:56 MST Print View

I already got 5 softshells jackets don ... 3 of em dead birdies

must resist ..... Arrrrrrrrggf

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Thanks on 12/31/2010 13:54:05 MST Print View

Just checked the EB store, they did have a few jackets left, and yes, the interior pockets look like they would hold a liter water bottle.

Simas Peciura
(pechius)
Peak XV down fill weight on 02/07/2013 11:20:30 MST Print View

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, just found this to be more appropriate place to ask.

I've found a review on Amazon about this jacket which is saying that the first model had more down than the current does, so I started to wonder if it's true. I've found down fill weight mentioned few times on this forum and the number was 13oz. This is from posts in 2010, like this one:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40893

This is the amazon review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R39IS4CDDYDQ1X/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0049C8YL2&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=1036592&store=apparel

These are the numbers for current model that I receiver from Eddie Bauer customer service:
Size Small - 10.08 ounces

Size Medium - 10.5 ounces

Size Large - 11.07 ounces

Size X-Large - 11.7 ounces

I've read many wonderful reviews about this jacket, but if they reduce down, I don't think that is the same good jacket anymore.

Any comments? Maybe someone can clearly state that this jacket was 13oz in 2010?

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
pockets on 02/07/2013 16:07:01 MST Print View

don't let the absence of a pocket deter you from the jacket. you can take it to any local dry cleaner and ask them to sew on a simple pocket to your specific dimensions.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Peak XV down fill weight on 02/07/2013 16:32:14 MST Print View

"I've read many wonderful reviews about this jacket, but if they reduce down, I don't think that is the same good jacket anymore."

Disagree with that statement. I challenge you to find a Down Jacket with 10oz of 850 down fill at the price you can typically pick up an EB Peak XV for when they have their 20% off deals.

The other significant point about the EB Peak XV jacket is that it's a mountaineers jacket. What I mean by that is the exterior material is very tough and not like the ultra thin/light material that won't standup to much abuse (like the Patagonia Fitz Roy).