Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Morongo Multisport Melding Madness, Round 1
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Morongo Multisport Melding Madness, Round 1 on 12/22/2010 23:01:01 MST Print View

Alternate title #1: Shuttle? I don't need no stinkin' shuttle.
Alternate Title #2: Solo hiking the CRHT across Joshua Tree and cycling back.

My gearlist for this upcoming trip is posted in my's pretty much my standard UL kit.

The plan:
1. Drive to Joshua Tree National Park North Entrance/Visitor center (terminus of the CRHT) and lock up my bike.
2. Drive through the park, stashing a gallon of water ~halfway, either outside of Ryan Campground or where the CRHT meets Geology Tour Road.
3. Drive to Black Rock Campground (start of CRHT) and leave car.
4. Hike!! I plan on doing about 25 of the ~38 miles on day 1.
5. Eat, relax, sleep.
1. Drink coffee and watch the sunrise!
2. Hike!
3. Get to my bicycle, refill water at visitor center, and begin riding back to my car via Park Blvd. It's about a 45 mile ride according to my maps.
4. Get to car, change, drive, GET MORE COFFEE, drive...
5. Home!

I'm a little iffy on carrying 3 liters of water at a time as there is no water out there for 40 miles...(actually, recent rains have probably filled the huecos)...but I might err on the side of excess and end up carrying 4 instead. We'll see.

Edited by xnomanx on 12/22/2010 23:08:25 MST.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Morongo Multisport Melding Madness, Round 1 on 12/23/2010 00:40:09 MST Print View

Sounds Fun,

I think I might be out in Josh climbing right about then, I will keep my eyes open for a crazy guy cycling with a pack.

Water seems like it is covered. Stashing sounds like a good idea just make sure that you either hide it REALLY well or mark it REALLY well.

So will you be hiking trail and then riding on road?

Sounds like a blast.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
multisport on 12/23/2010 07:26:25 MST Print View

Awesome trip idea, should be great. It cracks me up that there are place right now where you can still hike in shorts.

I presume you'll have tools and tubes with your bike, lots of spicky crap out there. Aside from that, looks good.