Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Heat molding foam/neoprene
Display Avatars Sort By:
S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Heat molding foam/neoprene on 12/22/2010 17:23:43 MST Print View

I would like some input on what insulating material is conducive to heat forming around another object. Lets say I want to make a seamless cylinder of insulating CCF or neoprene. Is there a material that I could heat with a heat gun or in an oven for a little while that would render it flexible and stretchy enough to stretch over a die without losing its shape when it cooled?

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Heat molding foam/neoprene on 12/22/2010 17:35:37 MST Print View

Both Plastazote and Evazote are used in vacuum forming applications. So yes, you can heat it up and form it but I am not sure how well it will work with just a heat gun or placing it in an oven and then trying to stretch it over something. However, a while back when I was looking into forming plastazote I came across a guy who had done it by heating the material in an oven, placing it overtop of the form, and then he had made a piece of wood with the outer profile of the form cut into it which he used to "draw" the foam over. I can't remember how well it turned out, but if it's all you got then you could give it a try.

The stuff does melt so you will have to find the sweet spot for forming.

I made my gas canister cozy using plastazote and a vacuum forming machine.

http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD8%20Canister%20Cozy.html

Let us know if/how it works out for you.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
foam on 12/22/2010 19:28:36 MST Print View

There is foam that you spray out of a can and it expands to fill the space

For house insulation. Like to seal air leaks around pipes or whatever

Maybe you could make a mold and fill it with the foam