Grand Canyon April 2011
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Smith
(shtinkypuppie) - F
Grand Canyon April 2011 on 12/21/2010 13:54:30 MST Print View

As you probably know, it's the time of year for Grand Canyon National Park permits. I just received two permits for rather ambitious, one-way hikes. I'm permitted for a party size of 4, but so far I'm the only one going. That's where you come in! Below are the itineraries of both hikes. You, a friend of yours, your stuffed turtle; all are welcome! The catch: you or your stuffed turtle must have your own car (you know, for the whole one-way hike thing). I also ask that you remit me the $5/person/night permit fee for yourself and whomever you bring along (turtles hike free with paying adult). Only well-conditioned, experienced desert hikers please – this is a rough itinerary!

Hike 1: South Bass to Bright Angel

Trip 1: South Bass to Bright Angel
4/13: Start from South Bass TH. Hike down to Serpentine Canyon, 8.8 miles.
4/14: Serpentine Canyon to Ruby Canyon, 4.8 miles.
4/15: Ruby Canyon to Turquoise Canyon, 5.8 miles.
4/16: Turquoise Canyon to Slate Canyon, 9.3 miles.
4/17: Slate Canyon to Hermit Creek, 10.8 miles.
4/18: Day of rest at Hermit Creek.
4/19: Hermit Creek to Salt Creek, 7.2 miles.
4/20: Salt Creek to Indian Garden, 7.3 miles.
4/21: Indian Garden to Bright Angel Trailhead, 4.8 miles.

Trip 2: Tanner TH to South Kaibab TH
4/27: Start from Tanner TH, down to Tanner Rapids, 6.5 miles.
4/28: Tanner Rapids to Hance Rapdis, 12 miles. <-- LONG, hard day!
4/29: Hance Rapids to Hance Creek, 6 miles.
4/30: Hance Creek to Cottonwood Creek, 5 miles.
5/1: Day of rest at Cottonwood Creek.
5/2: Cottonwood Creek to Grapevine Canyon, 5.5 miles.
5/3: Grapevine Canyon to Lonetree Canyon, 8.6 miles.
5/4: Lonetree Canyon to South Kaibab TH, 8.5 miles

Please private-message me here or email me at ESmithRN a@t Gmail.com if you're interested.

A little about me: 24 year old male Registered Nurse from Los Angeles area with quite a bit of cross-country hiking/backpacking experience in Death Valley, Anza-Borrego, Sequoia, and Olympic. I pack rather light, and tend to hike fast when I'm alone but I'm more than happy to take it slow. I do insist on starting early (hit the trail before 8 AM) but am fine with splitting up during the day. I carry a PLB and GPSr. I love trees, long walks on the beach, and stuffed turtles.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Grand Canyon April 2011 on 12/21/2010 14:41:22 MST Print View

Are you planning on a paid shuttle to the South Bass Trailhead?

Eric Smith
(shtinkypuppie) - F
South Bass shuttle on 12/21/2010 16:09:41 MST Print View

Not if I can find someone to car shuttle with me!

joseph a cruikshank
(bigfeet) - F

Locale: maple valley, WA
Grand Canyon on 12/31/2010 19:52:27 MST Print View

Ambitious but awesome itinerary. I did the Royal arch route 3 years ago May starting at the S. Bass Trailhead. Absolutely incredible. And I've had my eye on the Tonto West Trail ever since. They say it's the longest stretch of trail in the park without water. I wish i could join you but i'll be in Canyonlands about that time. But a word of warning, the road to S. Bass is about as bad as a road can be. 20" deep mini 'canyons' down the middle of the road. My buddy and i did it in a rental car but just barely and if it was wet it would have been impossible. There is no maintenance whatsoever after you cross into the reservation land, and make sure you have some cash with you in case there is someone at the guard station.

I did the Escalante Route last year which you'll be covering on your second trip, also very amazing. I hope you are planning on exploring Horseshoe Mesa on your rest day at Cottonwood Creek.

Enjoy!

Eric Smith
(shtinkypuppie) - F
Still space! on 03/08/2011 05:48:43 MST Print View

There are still 2 spots on the first trip (S. Bass-Bright Angel)! Get 'em while they're hot!

Edited by shtinkypuppie on 03/08/2011 05:50:39 MST.